The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming sugar before cold crashing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
SoupNazi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Priming sugar before cold crashing?

First off, let me say that I usually bottle straight from the primary, unless the recipe requires a secondary.

My problem is that when bottling, I usually rouse up quite a bit of yeast when I add priming sugar and lightly stir. Even when I wait a bit after stirring, I end up with too much yeast in the bottles.

My recent keggerator(Not functional yet, thus still bottling) purchase gives me a perfect place to now cold crash.

So my questions Are:

1. Is it OK to add the priming sugar, stir, cold crash for 2 days, then bottle? Never done it in that order before.
2. After cold crashing, does the beer need to reach room temp before bottling?

Making sure my DFH 60' IPA doesnt go to waste.

Thanks!

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? Did i tell you to put the balm on?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 304

If that's your only reason for cold crashing, I would just bite the bullet and rack to a bottling bucket. Sound like less work than lugging your fermenter around.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
If that's your only reason for cold crashing, I would just bite the bullet and rack to a bottling bucket. Sound like less work than lugging your fermenter around.
I agree... If you're bottling, you're going to be many times over better off moving the brew to the bottling bucket, onto the priming solution than trying to bottle from primary. I wouldn't even try to bottle from primary with priming sugar.

I would also move the primary to where you'll rack from at least several hours ahead of time. If you use highly flocculating yeast, they'll settle back down really well. If you didn't use such yeast, then I would move it a day (or more) ahead of time.

Granted, it's easy to rack from primary to keg (with a CO2 push), but that's a different thread.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-02-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The priming sugar may ferment as it chills. Just rack or don't and then place the fermented beer in the keezer. When 2 or 3 days passes, transfer it to a bucket with the sugar while cold. Bottle it and store at room temp.

Quick Reply