Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > priming sugar and beer temperature

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
wilsojos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Default priming sugar and beer temperature

I cold crashed a beer before I bottle it which I would normally do before kegging, but this is the first time with bottling. There is an input in the calculators for temperature and I know co2 is absorbed faster at lower temps, but what if I plan to bring it back to 70 to carb/condition? Should I use 70 or the temperature it is at when I bottle, probably around 40.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3200 Times on 3105 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsojos View Post
I cold crashed a beer before I bottle it which I would normally do before kegging, but this is the first time with bottling. There is an input in the calculators for temperature and I know co2 is absorbed faster at lower temps, but what if I plan to bring it back to 70 to carb/condition? Should I use 70 or the temperature it is at when I bottle, probably around 40.
The reason the priming calculators ask for the temp is because they're trying to calculate the residual CO2 leftover from fermentation. Since that CO2 will be lost if the beer is warmed after active fermentation, but you won't increase the redisual CO2 by chilling it, you always need to use the highest temperature the beer reached after active fermentation ended. For your situation, that would be 70°.

Hope that makes sense.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 10-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Makes sense, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply