Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > priming per bottle to bottling bucket conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Revvy is right on cue... All my brews have different amount of priming depending on style and on gravity reading... Your best bet is to invest in a simple beer program and enter everything you used for the brew as a recipe and it will most likely calculate your priming amount.. Follow it and you will have great carbonation and a really nice head ..

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
crh1109
Recipes 

great contribution to the thread, worm.

rumphf, thank you for the answer and info, i will search for a priming calc

Old 12-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
crh1109
Recipes 

thanks big cat, i will definitely look into a beer program, but there wouldnt be much i could enter for ingredients for this recipe since it is just lme from a can and a crap load of sugar.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
thaworm69
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by crh1109 View Post
great contribution to the thread, worm.
Sorry did not mean to offend you. Just giving Revvy props because I was in the same boat as you this morning and used the thread, got done bottling, and seen he posted so I was just thanking him...did not mean to jack you're thread sir. GL with you're beer.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
crh1109
Recipes 

Thanks, I was in a no nonsense mood this a.m., but thanks to the help on the forum, I got beer in bottles. In my first ever batch of beer, I over primed and every single beer spewed foam when they were opened, so I didnt want to waste a bunch of time again.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crh1109 View Post
thanks big cat, i will definitely look into a beer program, but there wouldnt be much i could enter for ingredients for this recipe since it is just lme from a can and a crap load of sugar.
Oh believe me once you enter your LME,sugar and yeast the program breaks it down by sugars used and gravity to determine primer ..

Old 12-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If for any reason you can't afford the program right now simply enter all ingredients with amounts used including yeast and anything else used and we (me or anyone here wil enter it on their beersmith and give you the numbers of what you may need...Most homebrewers are very meticulous and truly are here to help

Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The average ratio for priming sugar for when NOT carbing to style is always 1 oz corn sugar/gallon of beer.
Yeah. I've used the full measure of 5oz corn sugar provided with the 5 gal extract kits I've brewed. Never had any problems with bottle bombs, eruptions, beer too foamy, etc. All good so far.

I may try carb-to-style on a maibock kit I got for Christmas, but that looks to be not too much below 1oz/gal anyway.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 12-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Yeah. I've used the full measure of 5oz corn sugar provided with the 5 gal extract kits I've brewed. Never had any problems with bottle bombs, eruptions, beer too foamy, etc. All good so far.

I may try carb-to-style on a maibock kit I got for Christmas, but that looks to be not too much below 1oz/gal anyway.
You are correct, with your Maibock you may just use up the full 1oz per gallon... Per my priming calculator for a Bock at 70* with a 2.5 CO2 a 5 gallon batch would take 4.5 oz of corn sugar but as high as 6 oz of DME

Old 12-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1568 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
You are correct, with your Maibock you may just use up the full 1oz per gallon... Per my priming calculator for a Bock at 70* with a 2.5 CO2 a 5 gallon batch would take 4.5 oz of corn sugar but as high as 6 oz of DME
Here's a question. I've never done a proper lager, so honestly I have no idea- are you letting it warm all the way back up to 70 after lagering? Or are you bottling while it's still relatively cold? Cause that'd make a huge difference in the amount needed.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Quick Reply