LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
binkman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Priming my mini-keg

I've looked around the mini-keg forums, but can't seem to find an answer to my question. That is, I think I know the answer, I just don't like it.

I just got in one of those party-tap 5l kegs in the mail today. I'm planning on filling it up with some Oktoberfest from a carboy to take to a friend's house to share with the guys in a month or so. I will be carbing it up in the keg.

Here's the problem. I want it to be carbonated to 2.5 volumes. But to carbonate approx. 5l of beer to approx. 2.5 volumes of CO2, I'd have to add about 1.4 ounces of table sugar. But that's going to be about three tablespoons. And although my minikeg came with absolutely no information whatsoever, I've already read in the forums that they can only hand 1 tablespoon, but that gives me a very low carbonation for my Oktoberfest.

Am I missing something or is one of the major drawbacks of a mini-keg the carbonation limit for whatever you stick in them?

Bottled: B'more Malty Pale Ale — Orfy's Bitter — Swinging Hammock Summer Kölsch — Dry-Hopped Bitter — Apfelwein — Pumpkin ale — B'more Malty Pale Ale — Kitchen Sink Red — Cider — Spontaneous Cider — Armistice Barleywine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

is this a glass keg? or one of the thin walled aluminum ones like heinekin tap-a-draft (or whatever its called)?

if its glass like a growler- i know you are not supposed to use growlers for carbonating because they can not withstand the pressure.

when you bottle carbonate, using yeast to create CO2, the yeast is active at room temperature, while the CO2 will not disolve into the liquid at this temp. so there is a good amount of pressure that builds up in the headspace, then when you cool the bottle, it gets absorbed into the beer and the pressure decreases considerably. growlers arent meant to withstand this high pressure before the CO2 absorbs. once the CO2 is disolved into the beer, then you can fill your growler.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

The one time I used those foo brew I found that you want to prime to no more than 2.2 volumes with them.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
binkman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's one of the aluminum ones.

Bottled: B'more Malty Pale Ale — Orfy's Bitter — Swinging Hammock Summer Kölsch — Dry-Hopped Bitter — Apfelwein — Pumpkin ale — B'more Malty Pale Ale — Kitchen Sink Red — Cider — Spontaneous Cider — Armistice Barleywine

Quick Reply