The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming my first batch.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
dske101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming my first batch.

I'm about to bottle my second ever batch of homebrew and don't know too much about how to prime the bottles and portions of sugar and such. The biggest issue I think I have is that I don't have a secondary I can rack into so I'm worried ill stir up the trub when I mix it in. The first time I bottled I used glucose drops but can't get any this time. Please advise.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
jethro55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Here's a good reference on the topic:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11.html

The usual way to bottle is to move the beer to a bottling bucket, prepare a sanitary priming sugar solution, and pour the solution into the bottling bucket. A bottling wand attaches to the spigot and makes bottling really easy. The beer can sit and wait until you get the bottling rig - about $20 cost.

A general rule of thumb is 1 oz (by weight) of corn sugar per gallon. A little less is good for english ales.

Here is a good carbonation calculator:
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/rec...rbonation.html

I tried the Brewers Best priming tabs one time. The package stated the amount to be added for a 12 oz beer. I think it was 3 or 4 tablets for 12 oz. It will depend on the brand most likely.

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply