Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming with malt extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
TurboBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming with malt extract

I have a recipe that calls for priming with malt extract. Whats the procedure for this? Do I boil it all the way past hot break? What about the protein that breaks out of solution? Do I cool it and decant it off the trub?

I'm married to yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
TheH2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a recipe that called for using DME. I just boiled 10 minutes, cooled, and racked on top of it. Make sure you use a big pan when boiling or have anti foaming drops.

Many on here would recommend using corn sugar. It is cheaper and apparently won't alter the finished product since all the sugars will ferment out. Of course experiment and see what works best for you.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Also important to note: Certain brands of DME attenuate more or less than other certain brands. Even within one brand, attenuation can be inconsistent. Many people advocate using dextrose/corn sugar because it is more consistent, not because of any taste alteration. Taste changes should be *beyond* minimal from using DME. Only carbing halfway... now that's harder to fix.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Also important to note: Certain brands of DME attenuate more or less than other certain brands. Even within one brand, attenuation can be inconsistent. Many people advocate using dextrose/corn sugar because it is more consistent, not because of any taste alteration.
And let's be honest....can you really taste the difference between corn sugar and dme used for priming?

Old 10-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
TurboBrew
Recipes 

Well right now it's been in the bottles for about 3 weeks. It's properly carbonated but it still has a very green flavor to it. So, in the sence that it seems to take a while longer to mature, yes, I can taste a difference. We'll have to see if I can tell a difference in the finished product. I'll dig this thread up in a few weeks and report back.

Here's the recipe in case anyone was wondering:

12oz 20L crystal malt - steeped
6 lbs Extra light DME
1/2oz cascade(bittering)
Last 15 min:
1 oz cascade(flavor)
1 tsp. Irish Moss
Last 1 min:
1/2 oz. cascade

Then pitched with Wyeast 1318 London III

As you can see I had some extra cascade laying around.

I'm married to yeast.

Quick Reply