Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming keg w/ sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
neckbone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming keg w/ sugar

Probably been asked before, but I couldn't really find a good answer. I'm going to keg my hefe tonight instead of bottling it. However, I do not have a CO2 tank yet. Should I throw in priming sugar to prime it tonight when I keg it? It'll probably be another week before I get the CO2 tank and am ready to dispense.

Man, I really gotta get to brewing. I have a feeling, drinking my hefe draft out of a nice tall hefe glass, it's going to go fast.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: Squat
Bottled: Nut Brown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Priming a keg uses HALF the normal prime. And, just like bottles, need to be conditioned at room temp for a couple of weeks.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It's not necessary, but it means you can start drinking earlier and will help seal the corny. But only use 1/2 to 2/3 of the normal dose of priming sugar you would use if you bottled that hefe. And remember to VENT THE KEG *BEFORE* you hook up your nice, new CO2 system. Otherwise, you might backflow from the pressure in your keg into the regulator.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Why do you use only have to use half the priming sugar when you prime in the keg?? What difference does it make overall whether it's in bottles or kegs?

Old 06-27-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Honestly, I don't know. It is one of those questions nobody seems to have the answer to.

However, if you put in the normal amount used for bottling, you will overcarbonate the same amount of beer in the keg.

It probably has something to do with the fact that with kegs, you are delivering the beer under CO2 pressure, but not in bottles. But in my mind, that still doesn't account for everything. Maybe someone else will chime in with a complete answer.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:16 AM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know the answer either. It's just something I've read.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
neckbone
Recipes 

Here's my guess. There's more power in numbers. Just a few yeasts in a 12 oz bottle eating a little more sugar carbonate to a degree of X. If you take those yeasts X 48, and add the sugar X 48, then you get a carbonation degree of 1.5X. Therefore, you add less sugar, since you can't remove yeasts.

Kinda like ripping a phone book. Easy w/ 10 pages, but near impossible w/ the whole thing.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: Squat
Bottled: Nut Brown

Old 06-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #8
phooka
Large Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oh.. well now. I wish I'd read this a day earlier. I primed a keg just the other day with the regular amount I'd used to do bottles. What am I in for? :-/

dale

Old 06-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #9
daum
Recipes 

is it possible to just keg your beer but not have a co2 tank/system? I only ask because I am thinking about starting to keg, but the entire system is a bit expensive for me, and on ebay can get 2 kegs for about 40 dollars. So would you guys suggest that I just stick with bottles( a pain) or just prime kegs?
Daum

Old 06-28-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daum
is it possible to just keg your beer but not have a co2 tank/system? I only ask because I am thinking about starting to keg, but the entire system is a bit expensive for me, and on ebay can get 2 kegs for about 40 dollars. So would you guys suggest that I just stick with bottles( a pain) or just prime kegs?
Daum
It's possible..you can prime with sugar, and the beer will carbonate just like in bottles. But after you drink the first couple, the rest of the keg will go flat. You could also get one of these, but the CO2 cartridges wil cost you a fortune pretty quickly.

Quick Reply