Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming & Gelatin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Cajun_McChicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Priming & Gelatin

Long time lurker, first time poster here with two questions about priming and fining my first lager:

1. My classic american pilsner has been lagering at 35F for about 3 weeks and has a few left to go. Is it too late to use gelatin finings? If not;
2. Would the use of the gelatin negatively impact my ability to prime this beer with corn sugar when I bottle it?

Thanks everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
momobono
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would say you'd be fine to use it now. All the gelatin does is attract the large proteins still in suspension clouding your beer, and it settles to the bottom after coagulating. I'm sure you can just toss it into your lagering carboy at any point, it won't affect the taste at all. If you're kegging then you can even throw it into the keg. Otherwise siphon your beer off the carboy when bottling and leave your gelatin at the bottom.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
cswest
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

It's not too late to add gelatin but unless you are using kegs it will be difficult to pull off with out introducing o2. In my experience, gelatin works best if you can swirl it up good in cold beer. I've heard that you will still have enough yeast to carbonate bottles but if it were me and I just spent that much time on a beer I might go ahead and add about an 8th of a vial of yeast to the bottling bucket. If you are transferring before adding gelatin you could rinse the yeast from your carboy/bucket and use some of that.

Good Luck!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Falcon3
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I feel like it's defeating the purpose to add yeast after you fined it to remove yeast. There will be plenty of yeast left over for carbonation even after gelatin. Just give it time! OR you could just leave out the gelatin all together, and give it time to clear naturally- much less chance of oxidation this way.

Quick Reply