Priming and force carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madcap

Reaction score
Was thinking of the whole conditioning and carbing thing and was thinking about priming a keg with half the amount of priming sugar and waiting for room to open up in the kegerator and then force carbing. I understand that you will get clearer beer with force carbing, more haze with sugar, so how about a middle ground.

My thoughts are that it will force carb quicker since it is already partially carbed. Has anyone ever tried this?

I know I'll get a bunch of responses favoring both, probably more towards force carbing, but it was just a thought.

Forgive me if I'm not making sense or confusing anyone, but these red ale's are tasting really good right now!:mug::drunk:

Well, I say go ahead and give it a try.

However, I'd say that haze probably has less to do with priming vs. force carbing than it has to do with ingredients, protein control, and conditioning time/temperature. Can't hurt to try, but I'd be surprised to see a difference.

Street value: $0.02

I have been using the regular amount of priming sugar , (5oz - 5 gal) and when I rotate them in it takes only a minute to get it flowing rite, and they are fully carbed. If there over carbed you can just release the pressure a few times and it evens out. Sugar is easier for me to get than co2 , so i go that route.
allot of people say to use less sugar but i don't understand why?

Back