Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming with brown sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #11
maltMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I would measure brown sugar by weight because the volume can vary greatly depending on how tightly you pack it into the measuring cup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 06:16 AM   #12
jordnthoms
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltMonkey View Post
I would measure brown sugar by weight because the volume can vary greatly depending on how tightly you pack it into the measuring cup.
yessir

the front of the package says 32 oz.
the back of the package says 4 2/3 cups "firmly packed sugar"

according to something that Revvy posted at some point, 5 oz of corn sugar begets the same amount of carbonation as 4.75 oz of cane sugar.

by my math... that is between 2/3 and 3/4 of a cup (.69)

however, in my opinion, a darker beer tastes just as good dead and flat.
so i am going to err on the safe side and do 2/3 cup superpacked brown.

***(given a recipe calling for 5 oz corn sugar)

additionally,
i have to say that brown sugar is not refined sugar with molasses mixed back in.
well, at least not in all cases. just look for a sticker that says NO BEET sugar.
you will probably only find it on one brand: C&H.
♪och sade nöjd som så: "Bordeaux, Bordeaux!"♪

♪Han drack ett glas,♪
♪kom i extas♪
♪och sedan blev det stort kalas.♪
♪Och vi små glin♪
♪ja vi drack vin♪
♪som första klassens fyllesvin♪
♪och vi dansade runt där på golvet♪
♪och skrek så vi blev blå: "Bordeaux, Bordeaux!"♪

Old 12-16-2009, 03:06 AM   #13
chrisgray
Recipes 

I just primed my Porter with Brown Sugar, I'm excited to taste the results. In the past I have always used DME.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #14
chrryghst
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgray View Post
I just primed my Porter with Brown Sugar, I'm excited to taste the results. In the past I have always used DME.
Chris, how did this turn out? My next batch will be a porter and I'm curious if you can taste any difference with brown sugar.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 AM   #15
chrisgray
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrryghst View Post
Chris, how did this turn out? My next batch will be a porter and I'm curious if you can taste any difference with brown sugar.
AWESOME! No, really. Tho I think you should wait as long as possible before cracking them open. For some reason mine took quite a while (over a month) to prime. The early bottles really tasted of brown sugar but the one I cracked today tasted LOVELY!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #16
Boleslaus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So since there seems to be a slight variety of answers, I was wondering if someone has a more definitive answer for how much brown sugar to use. I'm about to bottle my pumpkin ale and I really want to try this out.

How much brown sugar (by weight) should I use for 5 gallons? I'm not sure exactly how the brown sugar compares to the other types of sugar as far as how much to use. What has worked for people that have used this already?

Watch me leap through this hoop!

My current line-up:

Fermenter 1: Altbier

Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #17
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleslaus View Post
So since there seems to be a slight variety of answers, I was wondering if someone has a more definitive answer for how much brown sugar to use. I'm about to bottle my pumpkin ale and I really want to try this out.

How much brown sugar (by weight) should I use for 5 gallons? I'm not sure exactly how the brown sugar compares to the other types of sugar as far as how much to use. What has worked for people that have used this already?
There is a chart in my bottling tips thread. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bott...ml#post1114892

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #18
craig_reed
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleslaus View Post

I am getting ready to bottle my Vanilla Pumpkin Spice Ale as well - I am going to use 2/3 cup (with slight rounded scoop on top) and add it w/ 2 cups water for my priming solution. I think this is going to be great! I just hope it doesn't take TOO long to carb up.

Any experiences with what the head looks like after using brown sugar? i was going to bottle today, but can postpone if needed. Do you think this sounds good?

Too lazy to update all of my beers all of the time!

Follow me @BestCraftBeer on Twitter and www.facebook.com/bestcraftbeer

Old 10-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I bottled a porter with brown sugar and had zero head, but that's usually the case with my beers anyway. I don't know if it changed the taste of the beer or not, but if it helps, the three-four month old beer I had yesterday was fantastic.

My beers carbed up in a normal amount of time with brown sugar, but it took a longer time for the CO2 to dissolve into solution.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #20
bja
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishprune View Post
My beers carbed up in a normal amount of time with brown sugar, but it took a longer time for the CO2 to dissolve into solution.
This doesn't make any sense. If the co2 isn't in solution, then the beer's not carbed.

Quick Reply