Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming with brown sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
jdoyle83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming with brown sugar?

I did a search for this, but didn't come up with a whole lot.

I am bottling a dark/red/some-kind-of ale(?) today [7 lbs extract, crystal 60 & roasted barley steeped, Millenium & EKG hops] and just realized I don't have any priming sugar!

Has anybody primed with brown sugar before? would you recommend it?

I haven't been able to find dextrose at any of the local supermarkets, do they call it something else or do I have to go to the (not-so) LHBS if brown sugar is a bad idea?

I was going to bottle with DME this time around anyways, so maybe brown sugar wouldn't make a drastic difference? I was going to bottle at 4:00 and now I'm using my prep time screwing around on the internet!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-3.html

Quote:
You can prime your beer with any fermentable that you want. Any sugar: white cane sugar, brown sugar, honey, molasses, even maple syrup can be used for priming. The darker sugars can contribute a subtle aftertaste (sometimes desired) and are more appropriate for heavier, darker beers. Simple sugars, like corn or cane sugar, are used most often though many brewers use dry malt extract too.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have with no problems!

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 04-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I did a pumpkin porter primed with brown sugar (a couple commercial pumpkin ales are primed with it so I thought "what the heck!")

It came out nice, you could definitely taste it, it went well with the molasses, pumpkins and spices.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
jdoyle83
Recipes 

...and for those of us without scales, about how much did you use? 3/4 cup okay for a 5 gallon batch? more? less?

sorry to be so damn helpless, but everything I found on the subject was in terms of weight, which only confused me.

Thanks for the help, you people amaze me.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Arrgh...I can't find the refrence, but I believe you use less than normal. I'm pretty sure that you use 1/2 cup for 5 gallons....and you dissolve it in boiling water like you normally do with priming sugar.

grr...I wish I could find the source...But I'm almost positive 1/2 cup was what I used for my porter.

EDIT Palmer says this...

Quote:
Here's how to make and add priming solutions:
1. Boil 3/4 cup of corn sugar (4 oz by weight), or 2/3 cup of white sugar, or 1 and 1/4 cup dry malt extract in 2 cups of water and let it cool.
Since brown sugar is really just table sugar with mollases go with 2/3 of a cup.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
jdoyle83
Recipes 

Default woo hoo!

Awesome. thank you.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoyle83
Awesome. thank you.
You're welcome! Since I've never done it for a "normal" beer I'd like to know how it turns out.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
jdoyle83
Recipes 

just finished up bottling, I used 2/3 cup dark brown sugar and am very excited to see how it turns out. the hydro sample tasted AMAZING. I'll let you know how the carb worked out in a few weeks!

Old 05-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
mrhead
Recipes 

Well...it's been a few weeks and I'm about to prime a couple different batches with brown sugar and am curious how this worked out for you. How is the head? Was 2/3 cup good for 5 gallons?

Quick Reply