New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming brett dubbel with maltodextrin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Robodo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming brett dubbel with maltodextrin?

Hi all,

I'm about to bottle my first brett beer. This is a dubbel that had wyeast 1214 in primary and brett b added to secondary. Does it make sense to use maltodextrin to prime bottles instead of corn sugar? I'm thinking that if the 1214 can't eat maltodextrin, I'll get funkier results relying only on the brett. Is this sound thinking?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

late reply...

for the amount you're adding, i don't think it'll make much of a difference - but certainly can't hurt to try. i would expect it to take a lot longer to prime, since brett is slow-acting, so if you can't wait a month for it to carbonate (or can't keep it somewhere warm enough that long) you might want to go with sugar.

how long ago did you pitch the 1214? if your beer has been bulk-aging for several months, the 1214 might be dead anyways and you're dependent on the brett for carbonation.

since i'm late to this party: what did you end up doing?

EDIT: nevermind, you got your answers on the duplicate thread - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/maltodextrin-priming-sugar-393157/

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply