Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming with additional yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
wdwalter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Priming with additional yeast

I am brewing a lager that is currently in the lagering phase around 35 degrees. I am bottle conditioning this batch in a few weeks. I assume there will not be enough yeast and/or it won't be strong enough to build the carbonation I want. I plan to add back some yeast with the priming sugar. I already have the yeast saved from the primary that I washed.

My question is: With the additional yeast, how do determine the correct amount of priming sugar to add? Wouldn't be the same amount? Also, if I am making a starter with the left-over yeast, would I calculate the exact amount of sugar (DME) for priming and just use that for the starter?

Thanks! and sorry for the lengthy question

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
Sanderoll
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Me I would just use the about the same amount for a 5 gal batch around a cup of dextrose. The fact that the yeast is new vs still in the beer doesnt change the amount of sugar needed IMO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply