Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming a 2 gallon experiment batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
voodoocurt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Priming a 2 gallon experiment batch

Hey guys,

After reading all the posts on priming I'm now more confused than ever, yes I've been to all the calculation websites and have read most if not all the posts about priming.
So what I'm asking is this, when I split my 5 gallon batch up into 3 gallons and 2 gallons to experiment with how much sugar do I put in each?
I want to use brown sugar and regular priming sugar that came with the kit. So, what is an easy conversion (generally speaking) that I can use? I've seen 1oz to 1g can I just use that? Please help this seems to be my only hurdle so far in a fairly easy hobby.....maybe I'm getting caught up in ALL the info? Thanks!

V

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've never used brown sugar but I'm guessing the kit came with 5 oz of priming sugar. Essentially it is an oz per gallon. So if that is the case I'd skip the brown sugar and just use 2 oz in the two gallon and 3 oz in the 3 gallon. I usually put the priming sugar in two cups of water and boil for five minutes. You could do this and just use 2/5 of the mixture in one and 3/5 in the other. If you do go with the brown sugar you want to use the table sugar equivalent.

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

voodoocurt Likes This 
Old 03-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
voodoocurt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Yes the kit came with 5oz so I'll just do that. I thought that an oz per gallon may work thanks for the info. I'd really like to use the brown sugar for taste, maybe I'll throw in some at the end of my boil, that should impart some flavor right?

V

Old 03-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Brown sugar is made by adding molasses to refined white sugar. Adding brown sugar at the end of the boil may give a little bit of flavor but mostly its only going to boost your gravity/abv. I think the flavor you are looking for is from the molasses. I've heard you can bottle prime with molasses but I've never done it. You could also add it to your boil but I'm not sure if that might change the flavor. Someone on the forum must have bottle primed with molasses. These crazy bastards have done everything.

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Old 03-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Here is a good thread. References to brown sugar and molasses.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/mola...-sugar-202726/

Old 03-16-2011, 01:47 AM   #6
voodoocurt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Oldyote, you are CORRECT SIR! These crazy bastards have done everything, I just haven't got to far in researching the brown sugar yet. I just got all my ingredients and I'm about to start brewing. I think you're right, the flavor I'm looking for is in the molasses. I actually have some Canadian Maple syrup my in-laws brought back from a trip to Quebec. Wonder? Thoughts?.....again thanks 'yote for everything....
v

Old 03-16-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

you should use the same amount of brown sugar as table sugar. it adds a sweetness from the molasses, and still ferments right. i've used it, and learned it from revvy

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 03-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
voodoocurt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Oh really? So the regular 1oz to 1gal? Or is table sugar a different ratio from the priming sugar? Sorry to be so helpless, I just don't want to screw it up....thanks lumpher...
V

Quick Reply