Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Primed for 5 gallons, only have 4 gallons

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Wakadaka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Primed for 5 gallons, only have 4 gallons

I put 5 oz of cane sugar boiled into bottling bucket, I only have 4 gallons racked into it.

should I rack more and get very cloudy beer? add water up to ~5 gallons? or just bottle the 4 gallons?

I don't want to get bottle bombs.

Its a blonde ale, so a little bit of extra carbonation wouldn't kill it, but I don't want bombs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You can find the answer by figuring out how many volumes that works out to, measuring the ambient temperature of the area where you'll be priming them, and finding out how many volumes a bottle can take at a given temperature.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It will be fine...relax.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Yeah I did a quick search on how many volumes I would be at, and tried to find how many they would take. I ended up just bottling it up, and put a little in some plastic bottles. My gut tells me it will be fine, but my logic tells me it might not be fine.

I put my bottles in my "bomb shelter" anyways ever since my first bottle bomb. Even if they do explode it won't send glass anywhere near me, and all of the liquid should be contained.

Quick Reply