Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > From primary to keg...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
BlatzBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default From primary to keg...

I brewed a batch a couple of weeks ago. I've been so busy, that I haven't racked it to a carboy.Most of the time I use the 1-2-3 method. Should I rack it now to a secondary or can I move it straight to the keg? Also Should I also wait another week or can I rack it now to the keg?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

How long do you mean by a couple weeks? Check the gravity to see if it's done fermenting before you rack to either secondary or a keg. If it's been in the primary for 2 weeks you can either leave it there for another week or two then keg, or you can rack to secondary for week or two then keg. Personally I'd probably leave it in the primary longer then rack to a keg but either way will work just fine. The most important thing is to check your gravity to make sure it's done fermenting.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
BeerCanuck

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hi BlatzBeer

I like racking directly to kegs after 3 weeks in primary bucket. I try to let the beer condition in the kegs for 2 weeks before putting them into my kegerator for 1 week of carbing / cold conditioning. Made brewing that much simpler for me removing the secondary and the quality if anything has improved imho.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCanuck View Post
Hi BlatzBeer

I like racking directly to kegs after 3 weeks in primary bucket. I try to let the beer condition in the kegs for 2 weeks before putting them into my kegerator for 1 week of carbing / cold conditioning. Made brewing that much simpler for me removing the secondary and the quality if anything has improved imho.

Cheers
BeerCanuck
I have been doing the same thing and don't use a secondary any more. It works well.

Gary

Old 06-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
cdnjan
Recipes 

But what do you do with the excess .. I can only get 3/4 of my 5 gall into the corny

Old 06-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnjan View Post
But what do you do with the excess .. I can only get 3/4 of my 5 gall into the corny
huh? What is preventing you from getting it all into the corney? You have 5 gallon cornies right?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Are you filling it all the way to just short of the In tube? I can get 5 gallons in my keg so I am confused as is BendBrewer.

Gary

Old 06-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
cdnjan
Recipes 

Edited to add ... I just had a closer look at my keg .. and well it is 5 US gallons .. So now I am tending to believe the mark that was on my primary for 5 US gallons is in the wrong place .. I never measured the water when adding I just filled it to the line geesh anyway now about 20 batches later I realize I have been making watered down beer lol anyway its strong and very tasty .. I doubt I will change much but I will start to bottle the excess and I will do more reading about omitting the secondary .. It sure sounds like its a step that can be omitted .. Thanks Everyone

hmmm Perhaps The keg sizes are different much like the Canadian gallon of gas and the american. I really don't know. My primary is marked with 5 gallons (22.7) litres. When I siphon that into the carboy and then into the keg I definately have a good bit leftover. So primary and secondary are US sizing and I have to assume these cdn kegs are smaller .. which truly is a pain as I always have the probably close to a gallon that will not fit. I keep planning to bottle the excess (approx. a dozen) but never happens I just add it to the keg when it empties. Yes I do fill it just short of the tube

Last edited by cdnjan; 06-25-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: New info

Old 06-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Not sure how much it helps but 5 gallons is 19 liters. 23 liters is 6 gallons.

Enjoy your efficiency bump.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My standard is two weeks primary then straight to keg. It can condition in the keg as long as it needs to.

Quick Reply