Pressure test for corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littlejoe

Reaction score
Okay got my 4 pin locks from Midwest. Just filled my CO2 tank. Gonna brew within the hour! Now before my beer is ready to keg what's the best way to pressure test kegs?

I was going to fill them with water hook them up to CO2 and check with a soap and water mixture. I was them going to turn off my CO2 tank and see if the pressure drops over time.

Any suggestions / comments

put 10 psi in it and submerge it in the bathtub. check it a couple times .

then purge it remove/replace the lid put 3-5lbs in it and repeat.

it will leak, not leak, or tell you it leaks at low PSI.

I usually just pump them full of CO2. Since you have to clean and sanitize them you could leave the sanitizer in the kegs and put the co2 on them and turn them upside down till its time to keg

I would wash it out real good, empty it, then pressed up to about 30psi. Take a spray bottle of soapy water and spray all over it. Probably a good idea to replace all the o-rings if you haven't.

I recommend a complete tear down, soaking, cleaning and re-rubbering of your new, old kegs. Midwest made a point, on the most recent sale, in stating that the kegs had not been inspected before being offered for sale.

The old o-rings and the funkiness they may conceal can contaminate a batch fairly easily. Not to mention, old, dry o-rings leak. Keg lube is your friend.

Thanks for all the advice. My concern with just filling the kegs with CO2 is that it's kinda a waste of CO2. Do I need to check the bottom and sides of the keg? They were as-is but look to be in decent condition. I do have all new o-rings and am going to clean them really good.

You could fill it pretty full of water and just pressure up the top. That's all you should have to pressure test anyway.

I just bought a set of 4 also (from AIH). I had trouble with some of them at first, but found they sealed much better after replacing the orings and applying lube. You may also need to move the lid around until you find the sweet spot where it seals the best.

I was going to fill them with water hook them up to CO2 and check with a soap and water mixture. I was them going to turn off my CO2 tank and see if the pressure drops over time.

Any suggestions / comments

A drop in pressure will not indicate a leak because the water will absorb some CO2 and the pressure will drop.

If you have an air compressor (or bike pump if you are up for it), you can pressurize with that instead of CO2 to save CO2. That is what I do. I cut a valve stem out of an old bike tire and clamped it into a piece of gas tubing the connect the other end of the tubing to a corny gas disconnect.

Once pressurized (to ~30 psi), submerge in water as stated already and look for bubbles.

A drop in pressure will not indicate a leak because the water will absorb some CO2 and the pressure will drop.

If you have an air compressor (or bike pump if you are up for it), you can pressurize with that instead of CO2 to save CO2. That is what I do. I cut a valve stem out of an old bike tire and clamped it into a piece of gas tubing the connect the other end of the tubing to a corny gas disconnect.

Once pressurized (to ~30 psi), submerge in water as stated already and look for bubbles.

wow.. what a great idea!! I've got plenty of old inner tubes around and was thinking the other day how to check the ball lock kegs I have for leaks without wasting all of my co2. little peice of tubing, old inner tube valve, and a ball lock QD and i'm set. :mug:

thanks!

Back