The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > "Pressure Barrel"...Anyone used one of these?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Grannyknot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default "Pressure Barrel"...Anyone used one of these?

This is a hand-me-down from my brother in law, who was brewing back in the laste 90s. Has anyone seen, or used one of these before?

A few things to note about it:
-A 12oz CO2 cartridge can be screwed into the lid, in order to keep pressure.
-inside there is a tube from the valve to a floatation device that allows the valve to draw from the top of the beer at all times.
-The underside of the lid has a few #s, and "1987" off by itself. Not sure if this is just a random code, or a production date.
-I've looked for these online, and the closest thing I found was a brief mention of one on a British brewing forum.
-The LHBS owner said he had only seen one once in his life, and it was owned by a guy who just came to the states from Belgium.
-I haven't measured it yet, but standing it beside a fermentation bucket, its got to be around 5 gallons.
-The lid screws on and has a very thick o-ring to seal it. Suprisingly, the o-ring is still soft, and in good condition.

So....should I try it? I hate to loose 5 gallons if it doesn't work, but I can't spend the rest of my life curious about it. Also, my plan is to ferment in a bucket, then rack to this with some priming sugar....do you think I need to immediately hit it with CO2? I'm not sure there is a check valve that would prevent pressure from escaping when a cartridge isn't screwed in. LHBS guy says he thinks if I can keep pressure in it, it should keep beer for a couple of months...thoughts on that estimate? My wife is worried about BPA. I assume there is no chance that this thing is even remotely BPA free.

Thinking about doing 5 gallons of a cheap pale ale or something just to try it out.

Bottled: Little River Brown Ale
On Tap: Greenbriar Session IPA, Root Beer, Appalachian Imperial IPA
Secondary: House IPA
Primary:
On Deck: Mt Hood Kolsch; Raspberry Cascade Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

There was a thread a few weeks ago talking about a european starter kit that is based around these tanks. It was the first time I had ever heard of them. You might find that thread if you search titles for "starter kit".

Old 10-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Every once and awhile we get questions about them from English Homebrewers, and I'm the only one that seems to seem to know what they are. I usually refer them to the English and Aussie homebrewer sites. None of the threads on here really go beyond 3-4 posts, because since the majority of us are from the states, where they're rare, we don't know much about them.

The best info I've found about them is just through Google. Search for UK pressure Barrel fermenter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply