Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > In praise of kegging...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
BrewDey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default In praise of kegging...

I've been brewing for about 2 years and had stuck to bottling. I was reluctant to realize how simple a keg setup could be, and I suppose I wanted to be a purist. After a few bad bacthes (which may or may not be due to my bottling procedure), I borrowed my buddy's keg/tank to give it a try. The 1st batch was a brown, that I let naturally ferment (for a good month or so) before cooling and tapping. It was a big hit at the tailgate-and was amazingly easy.

But the amazing thing was the Bee Cave IPA that I kegged Saturday night. I decided to give force-carbing a try, so I kegged, dry-hopped, set to 13psi and stuck it all in the fridge. Yesterday I was brewing with my buddy and wanted him to be able to try it-even if it was still flat. To my surprise, there was plenty of foam and it had a great mouthfeel. I can tell that a little more time will help the CO2 dissolve, but this was fantastic beer and the most intense hop-effect I've ever experienced from dry-hopping. This was a mere 36 hours after kegging, and only 23 days since brewing.

To know that I can simplify and shorten the whole process-and factor out potential pitfals (conditioning/ bottle ferm temps, feeding a slight infection via priming, bottle sanitation) has really gotten me fired up about brewing again. I'm amazed that it took me so long to realize how much this method makes sense!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
tiko
Recipes 

started collecting kegging supplies after the second batch i bottled. i think im just lazy. but gald to hear it.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
STAD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiko View Post
started collecting kegging supplies after the second batch i bottled. i think im just lazy. but gald to hear it.
yeah same here, bottling too far too long..
Up next: Peanut Butter Porter

Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
kirscp
Recipes 

I never bottled, went right to kegging. I was going to bottle, but finding bottles was becoming a chore. Didn't want to spend money on bottles ... find a place to store them ... find enough room to cool them ... and time. I knew that if I wanted a beer bottled, I could just bottle from the keg.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
TeufelBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pissed off SWMBO by getting 3 keg system delivered before Xmas. Supposed to be presents for everyone else, not me!

Force carbed Marzen, Scottish Ale and Porter to serve over the holidays. I may bottle some from the keg but I'm getting rid of a LOT of bottles.

I love kegging and the ease.

~~~~
That's not a beer gut, it's a liquid grain storage facility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
You're all wrong. Apfelwein is a time machine and mind eraser combined into one.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The convenience of not having to collect and clean bottles combined with no longer having to spend two hours bottling a batch it absolutely worth it if you have the money and a fridge to throw the kegs in. I started keg on my third batch and will never go back to bottles. I will bottle off the keg to share. Keeping 15-20 bottles around for this purpose is far better than collecting and cleaning every viable bottle that comes your way.

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 12-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeufelBrew View Post
Pissed off SWMBO by getting 3 keg system delivered before Xmas. Supposed to be presents for everyone else, not me!
Yeah, but if she likes your beer, she'll be showing it off at your next party and you'll be king for the night.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
TeufelBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Yeah, but if she likes your beer, she'll be showing it off at your next party and you'll be king for the night.

Already am good sir! She complains about the obsession I have and laments getting me started in the hobby, but she sure likes the beer I make.

~~~~
That's not a beer gut, it's a liquid grain storage facility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
You're all wrong. Apfelwein is a time machine and mind eraser combined into one.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeufelBrew View Post
She complains about the obsession I have and laments getting me started in the hobby.
tread wisely jedi

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply