Power source for 12 V computer fan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyAB

Reaction score
So I'm planning on building a keezer and am wondering on what power source you use to run the DC voltage on the circulating computer fans which seem to be 12V most commonly? Also, I wanted to confirm that they should be wired so that the direction of flow is from the bottom of the keezer to the lid to draw up the cold air.

Thanks
Randy

I use old cell phone chargers for that. It's ok to use a lower voltage (fan just runs a little slower) just don't use a higher one.

Radio shack sells 12v power supplies for a couple of bucks... or more!

How to you use the cell phone charger to run the fan?

Several different ways. I'd tap into the light fixture with some wire and run it to the 12VDC adapter and probably use spade terminals to slide over the existing plug.

I'd remove the jack from the end of the adapter and remove the end from the fan wires. Solder them together and cover with heat shrink tubing (remember to slide the tubing over each wire BEFORE you solder them. I always forget that step!)

Not sure how to best mount the fan. Depends on how your fridge/freezer is setup and where you have room for it without bumping it. I think for me I'd have it pointed at an angle downward towards the back of the fridge because judging by the frost on the back of the fridge, I think that's the only part of my fridge that gets cold...

Hmm... Now that I think about it, I'd maybe see if the inside of the fridge had some metal. I'd use the magnet attached to something and zip tie the fan to it. That way I could move it around and take it off easily if need be.

I just mounted 2 fans inside my keezer. I can post pictures later tonight if I remember.

Using sheet metal screws to grab onto the thin plastic of the underbelly of the keezer lid, I mounted one fan pulling air up on the right side, and the other pushing air down on the left side, to get a circulating type of effect inside the chest. The underside of the keezer lid is ribbed, thus there is some airspace on the backside of the "push" fan to allow it to flow. I still had to offset it from the lid underbelly with some spacers, though, because it wasn't pushing much air.

I used an old 12v DC transformer rated for 500mA. I think it used to be for charging a battery pack for some obsolete piece of electronics. An 80mm computer fan usually draws about 150mA, so I felt comfortable hooking up two of them to this particular transformer.

If all you can find is a 9v transformer, that will work too, just push slightly less air as the fan won't spin as fast. Below 7v you may not get it to power up, though.

Thanks fellas for your awesome input. I do have some old cell phone chargers around although I will also look at the transformer route.

Monoprice is your friend.

Get one of these:
12V DC Switching Power Supply

And one of these, to make the connection prettier and easier to solder:
Pigtail

They'll be at your door in like 2 days.

Then do this with the help of some zip ties:

IMAG0628.jpg

Latest posts

Back