The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Pouring foam from a keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
linusstick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pouring foam from a keg

I had my regulator set to 15 for a week and that's been my serving pressure as well. The beer was nice and carbonated but I wanted a little more. So I turned it to 20 for the day and when I went to pour it was all foam. After reading some posts I see that you don't serve beer the same PSI that you pour with. I let some gas out of the keg and lowered the PSI back down to 15. When should it get back to normal. Also do you see something I'm missing in the process? I set it to 15, let it sit a week to carbonate, then just started drinking it. Thanks. Also once it's carbonated, if I want more carbonation do I set the gas to a higher PSI and let it sit a while (how long?) then set the PSI back down? I think what I'm missing is if there's a difference in carbonating the beer PSI and serving PSI.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

I keep my carbing psi and serving psi the same. I have 10' 3/16"ID beer lines. My keezer is probably around 38 degrees. I set the regulator for 12-13 psi and leave the keg(s) alone for about 3 weeks. Always a perfect pour.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
I keep my carbing psi and serving psi the same. I have 10' 3/16"ID beer lines. My keezer is probably around 38 degrees. I set the regulator for 12-13 psi and leave the keg(s) alone for about 3 weeks. Always a perfect pour.
I have the exact same setup and settings (10' lines, 38 degrees, 12 PSI, set and forget method for 2-3 weeks), and I seem to get a lot of foam also (often 2/3 of the glass is foam). Not sure what is up with it - maybe I'll try turning the pressure down a bit and see if that helps. I'm also going to start storing glasses in the keezer as well as that seems to help with less foam.

Does the body of the beer make a difference? The only one I have kegged and fully carbed is a CDA (Black IPA) that has quite a bit of body and a thick head that takes FOREVER to fall .
Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 04-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonite View Post
I have the exact same setup and settings (10' lines, 38 degrees, 12 PSI, set and forget method for 2-3 weeks), and I seem to get a lot of foam also (often 2/3 of the glass is foam). Not sure what is up with it - maybe I'll try turning the pressure down a bit and see if that helps. I'm also going to start storing glasses in the keezer as well as that seems to help with less foam.

Does the body of the beer make a difference? The only one I have kegged and fully carbed is a CDA (Black IPA) that has quite a bit of body and a thick head that takes FOREVER to fall .
Any warm spots in the lines? A small fan to circulate air can do WONDERS with keeping the lines cool. That's my best bet with your problem.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
cjever19
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs View Post
Any warm spots in the lines? A small fan to circulate air can do WONDERS with keeping the lines cool. That's my best bet with your problem.
Just started kegging. Kegged up my 2nd batch yesterday. So when I test the carb level I should leave my cobra tap picnic faucet in the fridge before serving?

Can not cold lines really cause that much foam?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjever19 View Post
Just started kegging. Kegged up my 2nd batch yesterday. So when I test the carb level I should leave my cobra tap picnic faucet in the fridge before serving?

Can not cold lines really cause that much foam?
Yes to both questions.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #7
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs View Post
The lines are all in the keezer with party taps on them, but they are on top of the kegs. BTW, tried a pour of the Hef today (not quite fully carbed) and have the exact same issue as the CDA.

I'll try hooking up a computer fan in there to see if that solves it - thanks for the advice!!!
Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 08-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

The other thing to be sure to consider on picnic taps is the length of hose. Many times the hose is shorter on them then on the keggerator and you have to turn down to a lower delivery pressure. My picnic taps are 5 feet long and deliver at 5 psi. Just my $.02.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3196 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusstick View Post
After reading some posts I see that you don't serve beer the same PSI that you pour with.
I think you mean serve and store, but either way this is incorrect. The beer should be stored at the same pressure it's served at. If you wanted just a little more carbonation you should have increased the pressure a just a little. A 5 psi increase is huge. In order to get a good pour without too much foam you need a balanced system. This basically means that the lines need to be long enough to provide proper resistance. If you increase the pressure and carbonation, you might also need to use longer lines to increase the resistance.

Quick Reply