Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > pouring bottles into a keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
WormBoy
Chief Bottle Washer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default pouring bottles into a keg?

I am moving into the mysterious world of kegging as a keg noobie. I also have a batch of very yummy Belgian strong ale that didn't carb evenly throughout the 15 gal batch; very inconstant (I think I didn't stir well). Do you think if i purged kegs with CO2, that I could open and pour all bottles into the kegs and force carb while avoiding oxidation problems, or is this not possible?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I had the same thing happen to a batch of Spiced Pumpkin Ale a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I used too much spice, but whatever the reason, I had 2 cases that had no carbonation.

I opened all the bottles and gently poured them into a bottling bucket. It was much easier to not splash them this way. I then transferred via siphon hose to a keg. At this point you could force carb as normal. I went to the extra step of running mine through a plate filter into an additional keg but that had nothing to do with the lack of carbonation. I had way too much spice floating around so I filtered it off. It turned out to be a great beer and didn't last very long through the holiday season so I don't know how long term oxidation might have effected the beer. I figure at least I got to enjoy the brew this way as opposed to having worthless bottles.

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Old 07-31-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I've done this twice now that I've got my kegger....both times I haven't noticed any oxidation or anything....probubly because I drank it before it could happen

Old 08-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
WormBoy
Chief Bottle Washer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thats just what I wanted to hear. My beer has a strange habit of disappearing quickly too, so it sounds like that would be a good way to go. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply