The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Potential Bottle Bombs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
svudah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Potential Bottle Bombs?

Hey everyone,
So, in my first attempt at homebrewing after a year long hiatus, I went for a "big" dopplebock. I was most definitely getting ahead of myself. With an SG of 1.10, I expected way too much out of my Munton's Ale Yeast (I know, but this wasn't meant to be a true bock). Anyway, a month and a half later fermentation has topped out at 1.034. This leaves me with two questions about bottling. First, since there is so much unfermented sugar left, how much if any do I need to add for priming. Second, if the beer is already beyond the alcohol threshold for the yeast, will it carbonate at all? The last thing I want to do is add extra sugar and have some exploding bottles on my hand. Please help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I really don't know what the Munton's yeast can do, but I expect you've taken it about as far as it can go. You did get 66% apparent attenuation, so you shouldn't expect much more from your typical ale yeast in a big beer like this. You can try rousing to see what happens, but you are probably pushing the alcohol threshhold. If that's the case, you can add a pound of sugar, and you still won't get carbonation. What was your target FG, anyhow?

You probably need a more alcohol tolerant yeast to attenuate your beer any more, and that includes for carbonation. After you pitch, though, you better get it fully attenuated, or youwill risk bottle bombs.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
Kai

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

+1

repitch with a more tolerant yeast. Let it ferment out, then bottle with a normal dose of priming sugar.

Kegged: Christmas Ale
Bottle Conditioning:
Drinking: Saison Bâtard

The Green Wall Nanobrewery
tibi non nolis

Quick Reply