New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Potential Bottle Bombs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Antler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default Potential Bottle Bombs

I made a 6 gallon batch of Oktoberfest a few months ago and just bottled last Thursday (15th).
I know fermentation was complete and I didn't add any yeast at bottling. I had a packet of dextrose from brewhouse kit I did about 8 months ago and I mixed that with a cup of boiled and cooled water and racked from secondary onto the dextrose water.

Last night I grabbed the last bottle that I filled (half full, hobgoblin bottles) and cracked the top to try it out. HUGE bang and cap went flying, fully carbed up and tasting great.

Im just boarding my flight to be away from home for 3 weeks. The packet of dextrose was meant for a 6 gallon batch. I ended up with 5.5 gallons into bottles. Should I worry about bottle bombs or will it just be a little over carbonated? I store my bottles in milk crates, put the whole batch into a big Rubbermaid tote and covered with a couple heavy blankets just in case.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I don't think you need to worry.I think the problem was with the one you opened being half full.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply