Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Possible foaming solution good idea or bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
akthor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default Possible foaming solution good idea or bad?

So I've been having some foaming issues in reading around there are a few different solutions. Using 3/16th ID tubing and using the bayonet paint stirrers seemed like answers for me.

So I bought 100' of this:

bxncv-3332866224@pers.craigslist.org...332866224.html%0A

And I picked up some of the stirrers from McMaster, had to buy some O-Rings anyways so I just added them to my order.

Plan was to try 30' of the beer hose first then if that didn't work try the stirrers.

Well I read that the Accuflex tubing was a real PITA to put on the barbs of the interconnects and faucet shanks. OMG that is an understatement.

So after struggling and melting some hose with a lighter I got to thinking if there is an easier way?

I had some 1/4" ID vinyl tubing so the idea was to use that tubing as like a splicer between the faucet and disconnect shanks and the Accuflex tubing.

Then I thought why not put a mixer inside the 1/4" tubing?

So this is what I came up with. So this will be at each end of the Accuflex and attach to the faucets and the keg disconnects.

Good idea or bad?

image.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Dunno about your god idea vs bad idea but I have seen this as a solution for foaming. I think most folks but this in the down tube though...

Old 10-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
akthor
Recipes 

I have a bad back, kegs are already in the keezer, it's a tall keezer no collar needed. It's hard to get the kegs in and out so not wanting to go thru that to put the stirrers in the pickup tube.

So I did this with about 30' of line, barely a trickle at 10psi. At 30psi perfect pour. Going to try another one with a short line like 6' and see what happens.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1142 Times on 927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
[...]So I did this with about 30' of line, barely a trickle at 10psi. At 30psi perfect pour. Going to try another one with a short line like 6' and see what happens.
Yeah, you definitely don't want to have your serving pressure exceeding the carbonation pressure.

With 30' of 3/16"ID line I'm wondering why you felt the need to add the swizzle sticks. I run 10' of the same line, serve at 12 psi with the keezer set to 34°F, and don't need to use the sticks (I did need to use two sticks when I was running the original 5' lines that came with my T-tower).

So, try maybe 12' lines without the sticks and see what happens...

Cheers!

Old 10-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #5
akthor
Recipes 

Mostly I did it cuz I was using the 1/4" ID line to splice the 3/16th line. That Accuflex is stout stuff I didn't see myself getting it on the shanks I even tried heating it up, no go.

So I ended up with 6' of the Accuflex and about a 6" 1/4 ID vinyl piece on each end with the swizzle stick inside it. At 10 psi Perfect pour every time now. Bonus was I don't have a lot of room in my keezer so having coils of that Accuflex in there would have been a PITA.

Bummer is I bought 100' of the stuff and only ended up using about 20'. Oh well I guess I have a lifetime supply now lol.

Had to get this done tonite cuz I am having my BDay bash tomorrow so I couldn't experiment much but at some point I will try the setup without the sticks in the ends.

Quick Reply