Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Possible bottling failure, can I salvage with my new kegs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
JayStizzo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Possible bottling failure, can I salvage with my new kegs?

Ok, so I tried doing my first lager a little while ago. My problem is I like to learn things the hard way haha... I didn't think anything of it when I went to bottle, and I didn't re-pitch any yeast. Sooo, here I am 3 weeks later, and I have a delicious, but flat, lager. Since I have about 18 x 1 liter bottles left, is it possible to dump them all into my newly acquired kegging system and just force carb the batch? If its do-able, is there any tricks or things I should watch for??

Thanks in advance

Primary: Hefeweizen, Red Razor IPA
Secondary: Blonde Ale
Bottled: Canadian Pilsner, Blackberry Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone, Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It's certainly possible but I would suggest siphoning from the bottles as pouring them will most likely oxidize your beer.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 11-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
meadmazer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

As above, siphoning is suggested. Might consider filling keg with co2 first. You could use a sanitized container big enough to allow you to pour the beer into it while the bottle is in a layer of co2. Maybe use a bottling bucket with the hose going into your keg, very slight amount of co2 flowing into bottling bucket, as you pour the beers into bucket. Try to keep the bottle deep into the bucket the whole time. Then even if bottles glug they only pick up co2. In theory.
I would at least dip the bottle necks in sanitizer first.

Quick Reply