Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Portable Options: Jockey Box vs. Modified Cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
jawilson20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Portable Options: Jockey Box vs. Modified Cooler

Thinking of how I would be the envy of the guys in my neighborhood if I brought homebrew draft to my neighborhood pool, I have been following the 3 gal Igloo Cooler conversion thread. Not really wanting to buy 3 gallon kegs, I have also looked in to jockey boxes. I have come across this guy on Craigslist http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/for/2439657258.html

It seems like a decent price. What kind of issues might I face by removing a carbed keg from my kegerator, taking it to the pool, serving it through the jockey box at 90 degrees outside? Of course if went with this set up I would pick up a smaller CO2 tank.

I just feel like there is something I am missing as the amount of threads I see on jockey boxes vs. other methods of serving portable drafts is much less.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Gfei
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a jockey box and love it. I use it to bring beer to the river where we camp and share it. I suppose that price is ok, you could buy the parts brand new for the same amount. I want to say it cost me about $130 for the coil kit with faucet, I already had the CO2 tank & regulator and a cooler to sacrifice.

Not sure how cooling-heating-cooling etc. the beer is going to effect it, I try to avoid it but it may not be a big deal if you're not doing it too many times. I typically brew beer specifically to bring with me, so it stays warm in the keg start to finish.

Here's the kit I bought
I believe i got it from kegworks if I'm not mistaken...

Chris
Damn Yankee Brewing

|Bar Build|

Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

look for biermunchers "ugly junk" (might even be a trademark at this point) rolling kegerator. here you go: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bier...blished-71719/

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Old 06-16-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

That's a good price the aluminum tank alone is worth $100. It looks like a 120' coil which is over $100 as well. If you need a 20 pound tank I would pick it up.

Quick Reply