Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Portable Keg Setup w/ CO2 Cartridges

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
cd2448
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Portable Keg Setup w/ CO2 Cartridges

Hi - I'm looking to move into kegging, but due to limited space I'm considering one of those portable setups, like this one:

Genuine Innovations Portable Keg Charger

With a picnic tap for the beer. Does anyone have experience with these? On the one hand it's easy - on the other it seems like yet another false economy on the road to a fully-fledged kegging setup!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Many, many people use these. Just remember that it's not cost effective to carbonate your beer with one of these -- it's pretty much just for dispensing.

So basically, if you want to force carb, you'll need a real CO2 tank someday. If you just want to dispense, and you're OK using sugar to prime your kegs, this thing will work wonders for ya.

Nothin' wrong with the picnic tap, either, many people go years on picnic taps before they finally get the time/money/SWMBO's approval to move to faucets + shanks.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Many, many people use these. Just remember that it's not cost effective to carbonate your beer with one of these -- it's pretty much just for dispensing.

So basically, if you want to force carb, you'll need a real CO2 tank someday. If you just want to dispense, and you're OK using sugar to prime your kegs, this thing will work wonders for ya.

Nothin' wrong with the picnic tap, either, many people go years on picnic taps before they finally get the time/money/SWMBO's approval to move to faucets + shanks.
Yeah I'll need to carb with corn sugar, and (I guess) waste a bit of beer while I draw off the settled yeast from the keg. At a later stage, I could force carb with CO2 and still use the portable system to dispense, no?

Old 11-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Correct on both accounts. And don't worry too much about the sediment, it'll blast out in the first pint or two, then be gone for yer.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Plus, yeast is good for you.

Lots of micro nutrients in yeast. And, it adds flavor to wheat beers.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I've got one of the chargers. It works great for bringing beer to a party, but from a cost perspective, it's not going to take too many batches before you're better off getting a 5# tank and a regulator. I've never left the charger hooked up to the tank for a terribly long time, but I'm pretty sure mine leaks CO2, so you may end up going through a fair number of the bulbs.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
I've got one of the chargers. It works great for bringing beer to a party, but from a cost perspective, it's not going to take too many batches before you're better off getting a 5# tank and a regulator. I've never left the charger hooked up to the tank for a terribly long time, but I'm pretty sure mine leaks CO2, so you may end up going through a fair number of the bulbs.
As long as it's not wasted cash - if I can get use out of this kit down the line for one-off party events (and the kegs are good either way), then I think I'll take the baby step. So far, most of my HB purchases get superceded really quickly - like the 23qt boil pot, the 2 gallon MLT...

Old 11-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
Parva
Recipes 

I've just bought a couple of 9 litre cornies purely for ease of portability and intend purchasing one of these along with a picnic tap. I have the added bomus of having a 15lb CO2 bottle at home so can carbonate it then when ready, pop round to the mates and drink.

Quick Reply