Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Pop tops or flip tops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #1
BMClark2210
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pop tops or flip tops?

So I'm fairly new to brewing. In fact I haven't even bottled my first batch (but I have 12 gallons fermenting). I was wondering what everyone's thoughts where on which are best to use. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
willness33
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I prefer flip tops but I bottle from my kegs. I doubt this reply helped at all.

Primary: Octoberfest
Secondary: German Pils
Kegged and serving: Hoptimus Prime IIPA
Willamette Golden Ale
Paulaner Hefe Clone
420(ish)Pale Ale Almostaclone

Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Flip tops are very sought after, but in retrospect as someone who has sought them in the past, I can't really see all the benefit, besides them being cool and all. Caps are really cheap and dependable.

Primary#1: BM's Loon Lake Smoked Porter
Primary#2: Farmhouse Saison Brett
Secondary#1-4: Empty
Keg#1: Nothing fancy Choc Stout w/ nibs
Keg#2: Graff
Keg#3-4: Empty

Old 05-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I like Serra Nevada and Sam Adams, if I need to buy beer it's one of those two. First, I like the beer. Second they use good bottles that the label's come off easy. If I'm bottling beer, it's to give away. Find some college kids who drink like fish and offer some home brew for their empties. Two 20's y/o dudes got all mad at me because after 25 cases, I told them "I'm good, I don't need any more"

Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I have 4 cases of flip-tops I don't use anymore. One of two every batch wouldn't seal right. I even thought it might have been my distribution of priming sugar at bottling day but now that I have switched to caps I realize it wasn't. I kept replacing gaskets and everything.

I used to think it was so much quicker with flip tops, just fill and flip. But its just as fast with a bench capper

Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The beer doesn't care what it's put in. There's no BEST in brewing, just what folks PREFER. Figure out what you want to use and use them, it doesn't matter. It's not going to affect the beer one bit.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
BMClark2210
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
The beer doesn't care what it's put in. There's no BEST in brewing, just what folks PREFER. Figure out what you want to use and use them, it doesn't matter. It's not going to affect the beer one bit.
Sure it does. The seals in the flip tops may go bad more often then I think. No one like a flat beer after a month of waiting. Lol

Old 05-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMClark2210 View Post
Sure it does. The seals in the flip tops may go bad more often then I think. No one like a flat beer after a month of waiting. Lol
TONS of people use them and have stored the beers for years in them with no issues. Even barleywines. So once again it's a matter of preference.

*shrug*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
SimonHucko
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have both and really like the swing tops. haven't had any issues with carbonation yet. when they start looking worn or I get a bad bottle, I'll replace the gaskets. I find them easier on bottling day, because you don't have to mess with a capper. I also like being able to re-seal them and stick the beer back in the fridge between pours if necessary (this is only really applicable to the larger format bottles). also, now that I'm on the road to kegging it'll be a lot easier to grab some swing tops and bottle a few off to bring to a friend's, no capping required.

that having been said, pop tops are essentially free and the caps are cheap, so it's easy to build up a big enough collection to get started. that's what I did, and I've been slowly accumulating swing tops with gift cards, birthday money, etc.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
BMClark2210
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonHucko
I have both and really like the swing tops. haven't had any issues with carbonation yet. when they start looking worn or I get a bad bottle, I'll replace the gaskets. I find them easier on bottling day, because you don't have to mess with a capper. I also like being able to re-seal them and stick the beer back in the fridge between pours if necessary (this is only really applicable to the larger format bottles). also, now that I'm on the road to kegging it'll be a lot easier to grab some swing tops and bottle a few off to bring to a friend's, no capping required.

that having been said, pop tops are essentially free and the caps are cheap, so it's easy to build up a big enough collection to get started. that's what I did, and I've been slowly accumulating swing tops with gift cards, birthday money, etc.
Nice. I just purchased a BeerGun today and my keg is in the mail. I can't wait to give them both a try. Thanks for all the info!

Quick Reply