Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Please, Help Me Balance These 2 Kegs!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Please, Help Me Balance These 2 Kegs!

A little info on my situation: right now I have 4 kegs carbonated. I have a sanyo kegerator with 2-tap tower and dual regs. I also have a large fridge with a couple picnic taps and another co2 tank. I've had great luck with all my batches WRT to foam up to this point...both on the picnic taps and on the tower.

So, I force-carbed a pilsner and a special bitter about a month ago. 35 psi for 48 hours, then offgas 3 times before serving. Same as I've done with the other kegs.

Except with these two, I always get a ton of foam on the first pull. I can't figure it out. I had them both in the sanyo kegerator, and at first I though maybe it was the length of the beer lines in the fridge (even though previous batches were fine). So I switched out the two kegs with a stout and an IPA that were in the big fridge with the picnic taps. Bam, they're fine in the kegerator. No excess foam at all. But when I put the pils and bitter on the picnic taps, I again get foaming, whereas I wasn't getting it with the stout and IPA on those taps.

So through this process of elimination, I know that it's not a problem with the beer lines, it's a problem with the kegs. So what should I do? I've already offgassed the bitter once---I took it off the gas, released the pressure from the keg probably 8 times over the course of 24 hours, and put it back on. Almost no difference. And the carbonation level is fine...it's just the initial foam.

So should I continue offgassing? What will solve this problem with these 2 kegs?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

You don't mention how long you had each pair of kegs in each fridge but maybe the pils and bitter are just warmer than the other 2? The sanyo isn't cooling as much as the fridge? What your beer temp after pouring for each keg?
Maybe a tower cooler (blower set-up) would help too?

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 05-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
You don't mention how long you had each pair of kegs in each fridge but maybe the pils and bitter are just warmer than the other 2? The sanyo isn't cooling as much as the fridge? What your beer temp after pouring for each keg?
Maybe a tower cooler (blower set-up) would help too?
Given that I've switched them out from fridge to fridge and the problem follows the kegs, I don't think it's my equipment.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply