New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Plastic PVC Pipe 5 gal mini keg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
mensplace
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plastic PVC Pipe 5 gal mini keg

OK, call me crazy....or maybe others have already tried this!

Yesterday, while walking through Home Depot I noticed the 6 inch wide PVC pipe used for water lines. The stuff has walls that look to be over 1/4 inch thick. I cannot drink beer that is very carbonated. In fact, have to pour the beer back and forth until I remove the carbonation.

You can purchase this pipe with component to create a permanently seal on one end and a screw top on the top. My thought, cut one to a length to hold five gallons plus some head space. Seal the bottom & use a screw top on the other end. Add a tap. Prime very lightly when adding beer.

Your thoughts? This would surely beat bottling and still not have to make large batches as it is just for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
RockfordWhite
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

a. i think you would want to use CPVC
b. it may retain smells of the different beers since it is not stainless

Old 08-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

I'd worry about leaching of chemicals, if the plastic you use is foodgrade (including the liquid weld) and whether or not the joints would hold the pressure...But if someone tries it and it works, it would be awesome!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Add a tap.
Devil is in the details.

Can you make it for under the $18 - $25 you can sometimes get for a cornie?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 08-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Better yet, can you make it for less than the price of a 3 liter bottle of walmart cola? Also, no matter how much carbonation you add, the pour is eventually going to slow down and the carbonation level is going to drop if you wait a day or so between pours.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Last edited by Bobby_M; 08-27-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
mensplace
Recipes 

With GERD I cannot drink beers that are carbonated without first pouring back and forth to remove the carbonation. However, in other parts of the world drinking ales with virtually no carbonation and at room temperature is standard. If the stuff is made to transport water I would think it safe as it has been used for years in home plumbing. The walls are VERY thick on the larger diameters. Construction would be a breeze. It would last a long time and be easy to clean. Really, the closest thing to work would be adding the tap. The cost to build several for five gallon batches would be VERY low. One could even build a simple rack to hold several.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It is an interesting concept. Definately keep us up to date on how it goes and post some pics if you build one.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think you're smoking when you say the cost would be VERY cheap. Have you priced out the cost of 6" PVC and associated fittings? Just one one-gallon keg made with these materials would cost more than a 5 gallon stainless corny.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
hammacks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you intend to pour/gravity feed your tap? It sounds like it.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmm I don't see why it wouldn't work pvc is used for water line so it shouldn't leach chemicals into the beer and as far as the glue being able to hold the pressure I'm sure it is capable. I have used pvc for air line in shops and it can withstand pressures exceeding 100psi. You might see if you can find some scraps from a construction site just talk to the foreman I'm sure they would be more than willing to give you end pieces of PVC, they just throw them away anyway. I should think you could build one for under $25 bucks if you can get scrap.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Quick Reply