Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Plastic/Aluminum Miller Lite Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Dagatris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plastic/Aluminum Miller Lite Bottles

I noticed at the grocery store this weekend that Miller Lite now comes in 6 packs of plastic bottles. Twist off plastic caps.

Then I noticed that they also have it in 12 packs of aluminum bottles. Twist off metal caps. These little bottles looked really cool. They were shorter than standard glass bottles and seemed a little bit wider around. The neck was kind of stumpy.

Anyone have experience with reusing the caps that come with them? Does it hold a seal well?

This is the first time I've seen them in the store. So they are either new to the market, or just new to my area.

Drinking: Irish Stout, Ed's Apfelwein, Chocolate Stout, Holiday Spiced Ale, Irish Red Ale, Watermelon Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/aluminum-bottles-24673/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've used the plastic ones for quite a while and they are awesome, you can test the carbonation levels!

Neal

Old 01-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

revvy is a search fiend ha ha ha

Old 01-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Mazey
Recipes 

I've reused the 16 oz. plastic Miller Lite bottles and caps. Sanitized the bottles and caps with starsan. No problems. The beer was a berliner weise that was carbed to about 3.5 volumes (6-6.5 oz corn sugar in 5 gal beer). Screwed the caps on nice and tight. They held the pressure easily with no leakage.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Dagatris
Recipes 

Yea, I had read through the entire aluminum bottle post that Revvy linked.

I started a new topic because I was specifically curious about the Miller Lite bottles. They have twist off soda/40 oz style caps. I wanted to know if anyone had experience with these particular plastic/alum bottles, as they are the only ones locally available to me.

Drinking: Irish Stout, Ed's Apfelwein, Chocolate Stout, Holiday Spiced Ale, Irish Red Ale, Watermelon Wine

Old 05-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Sleeper
Recipes 

I have tried it with the miller aluminum pints that have the twist off top. They hold beer just fine, although they are a pain to clean. For some reason it is really hard to get the water of out of them after washing, seemingly no matter how long they sit upside down. They always have a slightly moldy smell when I am ready to bottle, and I am afraid to really scrub at them so I think that a few would end up infected.

I am just a beginner though. It might be that a 5 minute soak in cleaner would take care of whatever bacteria might be left behind from stale water. That said, they definitely hold the carbonation just fine.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #8
njale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

the plastic would probably be better than the aluminum to reuse for shipping right?

Quick Reply