Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Pitching New Yeast Prior to Bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
slushy1975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitching New Yeast Prior to Bottling

I used one of the Wyeast smack packs that says "create a starter" a few days before brewing. Of course, I grabbed it off the shelf for brewing the same day.

It's bottling time and I'm wondering if I should be concerned about pitching new yeast to ensure my bottles carbonate. I'm not even sure if that is easily or effectively done. I recently used the same Wyeast smack pack to make a Hefe-weizen and some bottles aren't carbonated well while others gush out when you pop the cap.

Should new yeast be pitched for my latest batch or will there be enough yeast present in the wort that the addition of 1 1/4 of malt extract will prime the bottles nicely?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Fatabbot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you take OG/FG reading? If so, did the beer fully ferment?

If it fermented fine, I don't think you should worry about yeast. I bet your inconsistent carbonation on the other batch was a result of an uneven mix of your priming sugar. I stir the beer in the bottling bucket after at least every 12 pack I bottle (since my 2nd batch). First batch was inconsistent, but the subsequent ones have been fine.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They Wyeast propogators have 25 million cells. If they manage to reporduce enough to fully ferment your beer, then there's plenty there for carbonation.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Quick Reply