Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Pipeline

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
benzy4010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pipeline

K I know the answer I'm going to get from many( never too many). I am about to build a keezer most likely a 4 tapper. How many kegs do you need to keep a goods yeast flow? I have four but I'm think 6 is plenty?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Lowes has a good deal on a 14.8 for around... well here, $395 :-) I'm very tempted...

lowes148.jpg  

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 07-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I have 4 kegs in fridge and 5 kegs outside of fridge! Potentially if u have a 4 out and you drink them evenly; You will be empty on 4 kegs at the same time, making your pipeline shrink!

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 07-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This is kind of a question no one can answer but yourself. There's too many variables in play, and everyone's life and drinking style is different. How many people are gong to be drinking your beer? How fast do you drink? How much variety do you want to have at any give time? How often do you plan on brewing? Do you EVER intend to bottle age some beers? Stuff like that. There's no rule of thumb for this.

I live alone, but I do brew a lot for fun, and even do a lot of small batch brewing , I have a lot of brewing friends and family that enjoys good beer so I nlike to share, but ultimately I will be drinking most of the beer myself. Lately I've been not drinking during the week, at least monday, tuesday and wednesday (and eating only meat and greens those days as well + working out.) I like variety, BUT I'm realistic enough to know that i'm the one who's going to be drinking most of the beer.I also believe that some beers can ONLY be bottle conditioned, so I still plan on bottling many batches, mostly big beers that need months and years to age.... I opted for a kenmore 7 cu freezer from Sears, it can hold 5 kegs with my 10" collar, but I chose as of now ONLY to have 3 beers on tap at any given time. This gives me room to cold crash or lager a fermenter in the keezer, OR just have 2 more kegs in reserve when my main kegs kick...

Eventually I might add a nitrogen tap for stouts, which will cut down my extra space by 1 keg. Which still would be ok.

There's no right or wrong answer to this. You're kinda gonna have to just figure this out for yourself. You can always have a bunch of full kegs stacked up in your closet full of beer and maturing while you drink whatever's in your keezer. Hit them with a little co2 to protect it and you're golden. It's no diifferent then bottling and having a pipeline.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 07-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
E-Mursed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 10

At first I got 4 kegs and I thought that would be enough.

Then I thought I might need some kegs for long term conditioning.
So I bought two more.....that should be enough.

Then I decided to do my primary fermentation in kegs.
So I bought 4 more.....that should be enough.

I'm starting to think with the shortage of kegs, that I could probably use 4 more.
Then I would have all the kegs I need....that should be enough.

Then again.....

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 07-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 1048 Posts

fwiw, I run 6 faucets, and after a couple of years have my keg collection up to 14. Between kegs in the keezer, kegs carbing up, kegs conditioning, I rarely have an empty keg. Today I have one empty, and it's just waiting on a wheat beer that should be ready to keg next week...

Cheers!

Old 07-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Nice collar Revvy! Is that a slick thermometer on the front right?

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 07-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

If you drink regularly you should have an idea of your consumption. I keep 2-3 stouts, porters going that don't get drank as fast here in the heat. I run 6-8 sessions as well as Ed's pale ale, and 2-3 lagers (right now it's Schwartz, Spotted calf, and a new recipe I am tweaking. That said I have 12 taps with 2 cold conditioned waiting for something to kick. Have 3-4 outside kezzer waiting for room inside. My rule for a good pipeline is to have half as many outside as in with fermenters ready to fill the kegs as they kick. I call it Hurricane prep.

Netflyer Likes This 

Quick Reply