Pigerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
I am thinking to "convert" a fridge into a pig pen.

By my calculations it will hold 8 or so party pigs. I don't have to buy CO2 (which isn't on every corner here), I don't have to clean lines or worry about PSI, they are more portable than Kegs, etc.

Criticism/cost analysis is welcome.

Is there a way to attach taps to those things? I considered making small holes in the door and actually have the pig spouts stick out a little bit.

Well, the pressure pouches ain't cheap by any means. I just ordered 12 pouches for under $50 making them about $3.95 each. Considering it would cost about $8 per batch to serve, that is way more expensive than a CO2 setup over the long run. I will say I love these things though for transporting and serving at parties, I just wish they had a "pump-able" reusable bladder in them so serving could be cheaper. I don't think you have a bad idea, just not sure if it would be cost effective. I don't know how much beer you go through in a year. I can't wait o get my pouches in and the pig parka. :D

I don't think you should worry about the availability of CO2. If you get a 10lb tank, that will last you a LONG time. I forget the numbers, but it will last a long time.

This could be cool, but I would get sick of buying those pressure pack things.

cheezydemon said:
I am thinking to "convert" a fridge into a pig pen.

By my calculations it will hold 8 or so party pigs. I don't have to buy CO2 (which isn't on every corner here), I don't have to clean lines or worry about PSI, they are more portable than Kegs, etc.

Criticism/cost analysis is welcome.

Is there a way to attach taps to those things? I considered making small holes in the door and actually have the pig spouts stick out a little bit.
Speaking of pigs do you nootice that the pig seems to have bursts of foam when you are using them?

There is a reason noone runs a fridge with 8 party-pigs as opposed to a fridge with 2, 3, or 4 corney kegs.

The party pig costs about $38 on Midwest supplies x 8 = ~$300 for the 8 pigs. Also, ~$8 per batch to dispense as noted ($3.75 per pouch)...

You can get a 3 keg setup from keg-connection for about $305 with 10lb. CO2 tank or $340 with a 20lb tank.
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=86

You'll be dispensing through picnic taps at that price, but thats the same as a pig basically... As noted, a 10lb-20lb tank should last you many, many kegs. For not much more you can add shanks/faucets to the door of the fridge (probably $75 max for 3 taps) and have something much better than a pigerator IMO.

Part of it is the ease of cleaning. Picnic taps wouldn't be bad, but an extensive kegerator sounds like a PITA to clean all of the lines. Maybe not though.

Nah, keg lines are easy to clean. Load up a keg with cleaner and viola! Alternate it between all your lines until it is empty, then repeat with rinse and sanitizer. I do it when I am cleaning a keg (not that I have really cleaned them in a while though). It is a simple enough job though to be taken care of. I need to get my taps clean for filling these pigs once the bladders show up. That is my only concern, getting nasties right before the pig. I haven't used them for a batch yet on my new system so I am excited. Planned on drinking a few off the keg so they are yeast free, and then filling my piggies to take for gifts. I just do the same thing as I did for growlers, I have beer-tubing hooked into the tap that goes to the bottom of the vessel for filling.

What's so difficult about cleaning a kegerator?

You empty Keg A, you clean Keg A, you can use Keg A to run whatever beer-line cleaner you choose through your system, rinse if you prefer, and/or sanitize if you prefer. You just put a little pressure on the keg of cleaner and run it through.

Pop in Keg B, flush through system until whatever cleaner/sanitizer is out.

Then you let Keg B carb and serve.

Some don't even clean the beer-lines between kegs - but maybe only after multiple (3-5) kegs. Do you really think restaurants clean their beer lines after every keg?

If you are talking breaking down the kegs to clean - that's easy too. And again, probably doesn't need to be done after every single batch...

EDIT: Wortmonger beat me to it! :mug:

I like my pigs but would much rather have a corny keg setup. If I had the room in a fridge for corny kegs I would buy those rather than the pigs.
Economically:
CO2 is much cheaper than pig pouches
Reconditioned Kegs are less expensive and hold more than pigs.
Kegs are very durable and repairable.

The advantages of pigs is they are portable and fit in your current fridge without mods. So the up front cost for a couple pigs is cheaper. But if you are going all pigs it is going to get expensive. Get Corny kegs instead.

Craig

I'm excited to get my pigs in for gifts. I did a pig tag for mine so they look professional when they are laminated and then written on with wipe-able marker. Here it is in all its glory, behold!!!
PartyPig_Tag.JPG

Oh, yes by all means I wouldn't give up my keg setup for pigs, but these can't be beat for a small party at the lake where you don't want to drag a bottle.

Right on! Have you seen the 1/4 barrel kegs? I wonder if those and one of those widget hand held co2 thingies wouldn't be about as good as a pig?

cheezydemon said:
Right on! Have you seen the 1/4 barrel kegs? I wonder if those and one of those widget hand held co2 thingies wouldn't be about as good as a pig?
Nearly but that setup does not share the same convenience and cost advantages. You can't find used 2.5 or 3gal cornys and new ones are over $100. In addition CO2 cartridges are much more expensive than buying CO2 in bulk. Then you have this cumbersome hose and widget sticking off of the keg. In that case a pig starts to look pretty nice.

I think it might make sense to have a couple pigs around to fill with carbonated beer and a pouch for an outing where bottles are not allowed. Pigs do make a convenient portable serving device. I have one of the pig coolers that is quite nice for that purpose.

Craig

Yea, my piggies pouches are here at last. I went ahead and ordered 12. Now I can't wait to tap these kegs and blow out the little bit of sediment and fill two of these bad boys up. One is in trade for a keg I just got, and the other is for taking to the Country Club for handing out samples. I ordered the parka too so I can set it out for a while while serving.

WortMonger said:
CBBaron, how does the pig seal inside the ice chest? I am curious as to making one for my pig.
The ice chest is a cheap styrofoam cooler with a hole cut out in the side. The hole is just big enough for the ring around the nozzle. It doesn't really seal so if you get enough water in the bottom of the cooler it will start to leak. This isn't a problem outside but something to be aware of indoors. I kept my pigs cold for a week by adding ice to the chest twice a day and draining the water. Ofcourse by the end of the week the pigs were empty. :D
Craig

Back