Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > picnic tap spout leaking

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default picnic tap spout leaking

So I am using a picnic tap in my keezer while I assemble and plan my build. I have to disconnect the picnic tap after every beer because it wont stop leaking. I just exchanged for a new one today and it is better but still leaks. Just when I think I have it where it is not leaking (by scientifically moving the plastic trigger all around), I open the lid for the next beer to a puddle of finely crafted homebrew IPA wasted in my keezer. So I have been just disconnecting after every beer. Is this normal? My pressure is right at 10psi.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
hs0656
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Is it your picnic faucet that is leaking? Or is it where the hose attaches to the barb on the picnic faucet that is leaking?

Old 01-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

For the short time I used those taps I did notice they dripped more than I would have liked (inside the brew fridge )... I did everything I could to reduce that, eventually making sure they were higher than the highest point where beer was in the keg they were connected to, and made sure nothing was touching the trigger.

I've since installed faucets in the brew fridge door and the picnic taps are sitting idle (on a shelf in the kitchen). IMO, they're only good for use at picnics where you don't care if you drip some beer on the grass.

How large of a puddle are you getting over how much time? Have you tried tightening the part right after the trigger (going back to the keg) to make sure that's not where the leak is starting from (or allowing it to leak)?? Just shooting in the dark there.

What ID tubing are you using? If it's 3/16" beer line, it should be a tight enough seal to not leak from there.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
logdrum
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 24

A valve that does not shut off is defective. I have one that "almost" does that, but I bought it online from who knows who at this point. I plan on replacing it w my next order; if I had gotten it locally, I'd insist kn a functioning one

Old 01-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #5
BullGator

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The beer is coming out if the actual spout in the plastic tap. The assembly came together from my LHBS. So the line, spout and keg QD was already put together. The first one I got was so bad it was like putting your finger on a garden hose. Beer would literally shoot out all over the place. I exchanged that one today and the guys said it looked like the internal plunger wasn't seating (this is the one I returned). So I think the new one has the same issue. Just not as bad. In about one beers time (say 30 min +/-), a puddle about the size of a baseball leaked out. Not major but definitely don't want to leave it connected for long (like over night).
Well, I hope to get my perlicks together this weekend so I wont have to worry too long.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Holy hell that's a lot of beer to leak out. I was talking about a few drops worth, nothing even close to what you're getting. With all the trouble you're having, seems like a good reason to just upgrade to faucets...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You can take those picnic taps apart correct? Why don't you do that and put it back together to see if that helps? If not, go to the LHBS and buy the stuff yourself and put it together. That ensures it gets done correctly. Or...have them put it together in front of you to ensure it's done properly. I do that all the time with just about anything I buy. If I can't or don't do it myself, I have them do it in front of me as both a learning opportunity as well as making sure no corners are being cut. The short time I used them, a few drops would come out after I poured, but nothing to the degree that you are describing here.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
BullGator

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So after the weekend I hooked up my wife's sparkling water keg (major Brownie points for that one). I told her to put the picnic tap in the little glass cup I have in there to catch the leaks. Well, when I got home last night after work there was about 1" of water in the bottom of the freezer. So now, the picnic tap line will be disconnected after every glass. Sucks but I think I will finish my collar build this weekend so I won't have to worry about it for long.

This does bring up some other questions. What does everyone have in the bottom of their keezers? I cut some cardboard to fit but that didn't hold up to well with an inch of water on it. Also, is it normal for a layer of condensation to be on everything in the keezer? I don't think this is related to the water. I think this is from everything (kegs, tank, reg) getting cold while the freezer is cooling and then the air inside warming slightly after the compressor has been off for awhile.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Taking it apart and putting it back together, the valve itself, is not a bad idea. They DO come apart... the faucet part of the valve twists off from the part with the barb. If it isn't twisted down sufficiently it WILL leak. The last two I bought poured out like they were wide open when I first hooked them up, a couple twists and the were right and don't leak a bit

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
CraigTheKeg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just used my new picnic tap for the first time today (while I prepare to build my kegerator). My picnic tap leaked like crazy. It would leak out a whole pint in no time after closing the valve and setting it down.
As mentioned earlier the handle part threads on the body of the valve and if it's not twisted on tight enough it will leak. Well, I twisted mine on as tight as it would go and still leaked like crazy. So I took it apart and sanded the top of the "body" (the part attached to the hose) where the male threads are so that I could twist the lid on farther. I hope I'm describing it adequately. After I did this it doesn't leak a drop anymore. Hope that helps.

Everybody has to believe in something.....I believe I'll have another drink.
- W.C. Fields

People Like This 

Quick Reply