Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Picking a Draft Beer Tower

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 07:56 PM   #11
johnsma22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anojones
That's a really nice looking set-up- with the three taps do you have two 5 gallons and a 3 gallon in there or is it a larger compact fridge?

Ajones
It is a larger compact fridge. Sanyo BC-1206 Kegerator from The Beverage Factory. I took the cheesy plastic tower that came with it and sold it on ebay. It fits three 5 gallon kegs along with a 10 lb CO2 tank inside. One note though; because of the compressor hump in the upper back, the two kegs in the back have to be of the older single handle design. Double handle ball lock kegs would also fit if you cut off one of the handles with a sawzall. I lucked out and found a bunch of the single handle type on the cheap!

I also had a piece of stainless steel plate fabricated locally to make a more level and sturdy base. I stole that idea from a Haier kegerator that I saw.

John

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #12
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
Here is a picture of my tower and drip tray that I got from ACU. They are great to deal with and have really good prices. They will drill the towers however you like and then you can get your own shanks and faucets.

John

What did that thing run - roughly??

Old 12-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #13
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I paid $49 for the just unassembled brushed stainless tower with three holes drilled in it. From what I have heard, ACU has had to bump up their prices since I bought mine from them in May '06 due to the rising cost of stainless steel. I'm not sure what they are charging now. I also got the drip tray from ACU for $56.

Then I purchased three stainless steel elbow shanks from Micromatic for $25 each and three Perlicks from Williams Brewing for $35 each. Add to that three tap handles from Williams for $7 each and probably about another $20 for misc. supplies such as stainless steel mounting screws, beverage tubing and clamps, etc.

So the total comes to around $270, not including the drip tray. If you compare that to MoreBeer's price of $180 for their chrome plated 3 tap tower with chrome plated brass standard faucets and only 4' of 3/16" beverage tubing per tap I think it is clear where the value comes from when building your own.

John

Old 12-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #14
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

ACU just quoted me a 3" 2 hole tower for 49 and the drip tray for 75.

I have decided to use front-mount shanks on mine due to cost and room on top of the kegerator. I ordered everything from AHBS except my 4 kegs come from the ebay guy selling them for $16. This kegerator so far has cost almost $500. Starting to wish I had just bought one!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:55 AM   #15
GrantsBrownBag
Recipes 

Default Mounting Secondary Regulators inside Kegerators

johnsma22 - How did you mount your secondary regulator inside the kegerator? Did you just drill pilot holes and use stainless steel screws?

Quick Reply