Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > The Philco Keezer Project: Antique Radio

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
mendesm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Dude! That's an awesome idea!

I just took a look at CL and there is a zillion old and very cheap things that can be easily turned into a keezer or fermentation chambers!

SWMBO loves that stuff and no longer has an excuse for not having one in the house!

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
bad coffee

Recipes 

Liked 435 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 48

How about getting on one of those radio forums and selling the guts? Make a few bucks and offset some of the build costs.

Or you could do what I did, and trade an old amp (Macintosh 50) for a 12 pack. Beer to drink while you build!

Looks awesome, could be one of the best kegerators ever.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

This is an awesome project! If at all possible, you should make it so that it still works when done, just in a bit different manner. Replace the speakers, get a new amp, and have an auxiliary input or iPod dock (if that's your thing) on it somewhere so it can still fulfil its original goal in life.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
This is an awesome project! If at all possible, you should make it so that it still works when done, just in a bit different manner. Replace the speakers, get a new amp, and have an auxiliary input or iPod dock (if that's your thing) on it somewhere so it can still fulfil its original goal in life.
But as he said in his first post, as a radio it STILL works. But it has bad JuJu, the first thing that came out of it was an anti homebrewing religious show. He really does need to wipe that evil scourge off the land, and what better way to make a cool keezer with it

I don't know why so many people want to dissuade him. This is homebrewtalk, not homeradiotalk

Maybe because it's unique to you, but these things are a dime a dozen these days. They're not rare, you can find them in salvation army shops for 20 bucks sometimes.And sometimes getting parts for them is more expensive than it's worth. Especially if someone is trying to do a restoration with original parts- Tubes just aren't as ubiquitous and cheap as you might think...

Everyone who owned one thought it would be cool to fix one of these, and most of the folks who thought that, never seemed to get around to it.

The only folks who actually seem to be doing a lot with them are artists and musicians who mess around and re-purpose them. I know an avant guard composer who wires them up in series and circuit bends them. I've seen them turned into folding bars as well.

The only ones it seems who are enthused about them are the folks re-purposing them to really creative ends like the OP.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But as he said in his first post, as a radio it STILL works. But it has bad JuJu, the first thing that came out of it was an anti homebrewing religious show. He really does need to wipe that evil scourge off the land, and what better way to make a cool keezer with it

I don't know why so many people want to dissuade him. This is homebrewtalk, not homeradiotalk

I didn't mean that at all. I do think its a very cool project even without a radio but it would be even cooler if it "still worked" for playing music. Who doesn't want to listen to music while drinking beer? Don't get me wrong, I'd gut the old electronics, AM radio, and everything else. You can fit some really nice speakers and a decent amp in a VERY small package though.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #16
JollyMon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Can't wait to see the progress on this. I've got an old philco like that in the basement. I was about to just throw it in the trash as it's non functional and pretty worthless. But this has me inspired. I'm gonna need lots of pics and details as you go. Brew on.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
davepeds
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
If at all possible, you should make it so that it still works when done, just in a bit different manner. Replace the speakers, get a new amp, and have an auxiliary input or iPod dock (if that's your thing) on it somewhere so it can still fulfil its original goal in life.
What I'm planning - when I can get the pics to upload - is to do a little of what you mentioned. I'm thinking about getting one of those little homemade radio projects from a toystore and seeing if I can wire it in. When I removed the chassis, there was a TON of empty space. A little speaker set is pretty small, probably small enough. It also doesn't generate as much heat as the tubes. I'm definitely going to rig and light the faceplate. I'll try and get the pictures uploaded of some of the parts. I'm still struggling through google Sketchup to figure it out.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #18
davepeds
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK - got the photos up. FINALLY. Going to get back to work on it tomorrow.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #19
davepeds
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Moving on. I did some background reading on cutting old wooden veneer - there a couple good ehow videos. So I cut off the sides and now I have the top center piece basically figured out. I also talked to a friend that's an electrical engineer. I'm going to try and keep the faceplate, keep the knobs in order, but remove the chassis and install a simpler (yet profoundly more technological - with...wait for it...circuits) radio behind it. Here's the unassembled center piece for the top -probably going to go center right about where it is in the picture.

photo-5.jpg  

Old 08-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
davepeds
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Coming up next - probably tonight - is the stripping of the wood. I've been running up and down the antique radio forums for the best way to do this. Unfortunately, I'm not sure whether or not my radio has a lacquer or shellac finish - but I suspect lacquer. If anyone out there is interested in stripping old furniture down to bare wood, I found this forum useful. Basically, you take a 50/50 mix of acetone and lacquer thinner and apply liberally with a steel wool pad - comes right off. From that point going forward, I'll be trying to find some wood to match my grain to get after the rest of it.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...p?f=7&t=195670

Quick Reply