Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > PET bottle cleaning question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
Bdogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default PET bottle cleaning question

Hey,

I clean all my equipment and wine bottles with the pink chlorinated trisodium phosphate cleaner.

Anyway the deal is you soak them for 20 minutes. After I did this all the bottles had a cloudy white powderish residue on them. Any idea why this might happen? I haven't had this happen before.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've never used the TSP cleaner on my bottles, but I get a whitish residue if I try to use Oxi-Clean. We have well water that it loaded with minerals, and that's the source of the problem. I got those particular bottles clean by using an acid wash (white vinegar). Now, if I have to actually clean bottles (which I usually only do when I get them & delabel) I use PBW by 5 Star Chemical. It's more expensive, but the formulation won't form that film on my bottles. My other alternative would be to use RO water from the grocery store, but that would tend to wipe out my savings by using the cheaper cleaner.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Bdogg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I thought maybe it had something to do with the water. It hasn't happened to me before but now it's winter... so maybe they've changed the water somehow.

Also, in case anyone ever searches this... for sanitizing I use sodium metabisulphate (a rinse off sanitizer that is sold at most wine making stores), and when sprayed on it immediately dissolved whatever the filmy material was. I keep a spray bottle full. A spritz and a quick rinse and the bottles are sparkling clean.

Quick Reply