Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Perlick 525 SS faucet leaks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #71
milldoggy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Never had a problem with my 3 perlicks, but I just installed 4 on my long draw bar in my dining room where we just did brand new floors. Wife will kill me if a keg does leak. I think 4 ventomatics might be ordered tonight.

My hop stopper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #72
Joed15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have 6 525SS faucets for several months now with no leaks.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #73
disney7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Can anyone elaborate on where the leak is? Are the bad ones leaking out of the faucet?

I have three 525SS faucets that I've had for a little less than two years. Last night, after pouring a beer, one of them had a slight leak at the top where the lever goes down into the faucet. The threaded cap wasn't loose. I took it apart and removed the lower o-ring and didn't see any damage or gunk. I cleaned it anyway and lubed everything a little with keg lube. Reassembled and no more leak.

Just wondering if mine are developing the same problem or if that was just a random event.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #74
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney7

Just wondering if mine are developing the same problem or if that was just a random event.
That's exactly what mine does. Leaks reemerge every 2 weeks to 2 months. I used to replace everything each time. I later discovered if you just take it apart, like you did, remove the piece with the ball at the bottem that goes into the main faucet, then put it all back together, it works again....until the next time.

The way I see it, I can keep doing this until Perlick finds a fix, go back to standard faucets, or buy the ventamatics since apparently they are being sold again.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #75
disney7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 39 Posts

I'm sitting at a newish pub that has about 30 525SS faucets. I asked the guys about them and they say the bonnets spring a leak every two or three months (they see a lot of use).

They have a bag of the o-rings that go below the ball. The bag is Perlick part number 425-8. They replace them as needed. I may grab a bag and replace mine every so often.

I asked if they'd ever lost a keg overnight. They said no, it always happens when operating the faucet and it is never a very bad leak. They just replace the o-ring at that point.

It makes some sense that it might be a wear item.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:36 AM   #76
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 997 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Hmm. One of my three has stopped sealing properly. Not a fast leak, but the tap condom falls off after hours or days and a couple drops of beer go to the angels or floor. It got better before by loosening the bonnet. No good anymore as it is practically unscrewed now. Its a shame though because I really like the taps. I am going to disassemble and reassemble and go from there.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #77
borto1990
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just installed 10 on my kegerator. no issues yet.. does someone have the o-ring #'s that need to be changed should a leak occur? Love them so far, are working great. but if I have parts on hand, I've got no problem changing them I guess. 100 orings are 2 bucks or less. if they start leaking. I'll chalk it up to "for love of the game" and happily replace them

Old 08-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #78
Jeffinn
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyirishman34 View Post
I have 3 of the 525SS faucets on my long draw set up and they seal just fine. I am thinking of switching to Ventomatics now that they are being made again.
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=376_17_16&p roducts_id=3277&zenid=f8a48f4b97525eecb0a9c94d7ac7 4683
I was considering that as well. However, there's no seal kits or repair parts available for the VentMatics (at least I didn't see any at the Chi Company website). As it stands right now, there's just faucets.

Just drink it!

Old 08-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #79
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 205

I bought my four from Adventures a few weeks ago. Fingers crossed.

is the leaks mainly with the O-rings? If so, does McMasters Carr have a part #? What about going with a O-ring?

On another note, what is the difference between the Perlick 525 and 575? I want to add more faucets to my kegerator (maybe 2-3 more), so just wondering about the differences.

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 08-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #80
crazyirishman34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 37 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffinn View Post
I was considering that as well. However, there's no seal kits or repair parts available for the VentMatics (at least I didn't see any at the Chi Company website). As it stands right now, there's just faucets.
Not too many places have custom sized orings made. It would just be too costly. I would bet that you can get all the internal orings from other sources.

www.pintley.com Great reviews of craft beer and win prizes at the same time

Down the Road on Facebook

Quick Reply