Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Perlick 525 SS faucet leaks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Brew-ta-sauraus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Perlick 525 SS faucet leaks

I bought 4 perlick 525 SS faucets a while back. One of them developed a leak recently. To stop the leak you had to close the faucet real hard and even then it dripped. Night before last I came home to find 5 gallons of beer all over my garage floor as the faucet apparently started leaking while I was gone. Killed a whole keg of amber ale. No big deal beer was not the best beer I have ever brewed. I called Perlick yesterday morning asked for service, told them about my leaky faucet and they said I had to talk to someone else so they transferred me to a voice mail. I left a message got no call back. Called them again this morning went through the same routine and got another voice mail for a guy named Scott. I left a message. Scott returned my call with in an hour. Seems Scott is really busy these days. I told him I had 4 faucets but only one leaks. He said no problem we will replace all four. I said why all four, and he said because the other three will leak eventually. He said they have replaced over 6000 525 SS faucets to date. He said they had a repair kit for the faucet but that leaked as well. He said they would send me four faucets but they would not be 525 SS. That faucet is being redesigned and will be released next year. Said they would provide return postage so I could return my 4 525 SS faucets to them. You can get your 525 SS Perlick faucets replaced by calling 800-558-5592 press 0 and ask for service. Or you can call Scott direct since he is the one doing the replacements at 414-760-5040. This problem apparently only affects the 525 SS faucets.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Hmm, that doesn't sound too good. I wonder why this would only affect the SS models and not the chrome ones?

I have three of the 525SS models and haven't seen any issues, but I think I'll keep an eye on them.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Brew-ta-sauraus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

He mentioned 525's were affected but I didnt drill down to stainless as opposed to chrome/brass etc. So it may be all the 525's. While I was on the phone my only concern was that they were replacing my faucets. I am bummed that I will not be getting new 525's. I really love the faucets as they look cool as well as they pour excellent. My guess is if you don't replce them now and they leak down the road that Perlick will replace them at any time.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
flyte74
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My three tap tower has 525 SS faucets. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Eli55
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Subscribed. I have three of these in my keezer and am interested in hearing some more.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Kasrkin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Subscribed as well, i've got a few of these on my keezer... going to be putting my first beer on them soon, i guess i'll just keep a bucket underneath the faucet for insurance, if you find that we should just immediately replace these i would love the input! thank you for the post and the contact information!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Yeah I have three 525 SS faucets as well. One of them is a little bit leaky if I'm not careful with it, but nothing like you described. e.g. it might drip occasionally if I don't close it the whole way.

Do you know what he is sending as replacements?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Do you know what he is sending as replacements?
Well, you know that brass faucet that is on the outside of your house? I'm talking about the one the garden hose is currently attached to...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6126 Times on 5338 Posts
Likes Given: 737

It seems counterintuitive, but if the nut on top is tightened too much, it can cause the faucet ball to slip open.

Try loosening it ~1/4 turn.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
naga77777
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Thanks for the info; very useful.

I've got the 525's but chrome. One of them was leaking a bit more than normal, even when closing it hard. I loosened the nut (or tightened it, i forget which) and now it does the standard 3 drips, and stops.

I'll certainly call Perlick if it ever develops the symptoms yours did.

Secondary 1: Skeeter Pee
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Two Hearted Clone, Graff, BM Centennial Blonde (again :) )

Quick Reply