Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Perlick 425 vs 525 (Perl)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Perlick 425 vs 525 (Perl)

I'm in the process of building a keezer and looking at faucets right now. I'm definitely going with Perlick, but I'm running into a difficult decision (not really that difficult, I'm just overcomplicating). I did a favor for my LHBS guy and was given a new 525 Perl in exchange. He told me if I wanted to trade up for the 425, I could just pay the difference. My only concern is keeping the nozzle clean. My LHBS guy loves the 425 because he can just screw the tip off and soak/clean when he notices a build up.

Any thoughts on this or any thing else I should consider? The Perl 525 is usually $10-15 cheaper...

They're both so beautiful. I keep pulling the Perl out of the box and staring/rubbing/drooling over it. SWMBO doesn't get it.

Perlick 425

Perl 525

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
moonbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have two of the 525s and they are great, I wouldn't ever buy any of the cheaper faucets now, especially after using the Perlicks for a while.

I could be wrong but I think they both are pretty much the same internally, they both have the forward seal... way better, more sanitary than the others. If you take apart your 525 you'll see how simple it is to clean when needed... prolly already have, right? I run Straight A through mine after each keg and I have never noticed my tips getting funky, although it might be nice to be able to unscrew them if I wanted to.

You'll be happy with ether one I'm sure, but if you have to get several of them the extra $ for the 425s might add up.

Bottled: Janet's Brown Ale, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, Apfelwein
Gone:American Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale, Dry Stout, West Coast Red
Long Gone: Too much

Old 01-15-2010, 04:05 AM   #3
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Can someone enlighten me as to why it's so important your taps are sanitized??? Don't you just pour your beer and drink it? I don't make sure my faucet is sanitized when I get some water. Hyperbole aside, what's the point?

Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme6582 View Post
Can someone enlighten me as to why it's so important your taps are sanitized??? Don't you just pour your beer and drink it? I don't make sure my faucet is sanitized when I get some water. Hyperbole aside, what's the point?
I guess the point is when you pour a beer, some residual beer is left coating the inside of the nozzle - moisture with sugar remains. Over time it's not a pretty picture. Comp - do you wash your dishes in between meals? If so, why not wash/clean your nozzles between beers or long periods between pours?

I'm sure holding a glass of hot water (especially with B-Brite) under the tap (submerging the nozzle) would do the trick... just curious as to other people's experience.

*edit* - just re-read your post. Water alone (from your kitchen faucet) will eventually evaporate, there's very little for nasties to feed on.

Quick Reply