Old 04-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
RegionalChaos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Pepsi co2 canisters

Howdy folks,

A few weeks ago I was able to pick up some corny's off of craigslist. Last night I was dropping some of my latest homebrew off with the guy that gave them to me. He knew I was still looking for a co2 canister, so he showed me what he had. They were from pepsi, maybe 20#ers. He said he paid a deposit, and he refills them with pepsi. He was willing to let me use one for the cost of the deposit, but I wasn't sure if I would be able to fill it. He is a food cart vendor, hence the cornys and the co2, etc.. He fills them at pepsi. So would airgas or someone else fill (or swap) these tanks for me? Or do they have to be filled at pepsi? Since I don't have a vendors license, I'm not sure they would deal with me. The guy said he would swap them for me if I needed, but it seems like a hassle. Anyway, its a decent price for a 20# tank, so I've been debating it. To tide me over though, I ended up picking up a co2 charger. I'm sure I'll use it for portability even after I get a real co2 setup going...

Anyway, any info is much appreciated. Thanks for all the good advice.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what-kind-r-value-ferm-chamber-190459/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
kevinrmclean
Recipes 

Praxair swapped out an out of date Coca-Cola tank for me. They never even glanced at it. Cost me about $20.00. Give it a try. Worst thing they could say is no.

Hope this helps.

Cheers and Fair Winds,
Kevin

Tidewater Brewing

Old 04-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

it depends. you may have to shop around, or you may have to use something like body putty to fill in the engraved Pepsi stamping, then paint the cylinder.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 04-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4453 Times on 3241 Posts
Likes Given: 866

I think that they are engraved with "Pepsi" because they belong to Pepsi. If you buy your own, then they won't belong to Pepsi. Paying the deposit for the co2 tank doesn't change ownship of the tank, any more than paying a renter's deposit on a home changes the ownership of the home.

If you buy a stolen tank, then it's still not yours. Any reputable gas company will refuse to fill it.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
Hollow4
Recipes 

Im not saying its right or wrong, god only knows i live on the fence of morality, but is it really too much to buy a CO2 tank??

Old 04-12-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
kevinrmclean
Recipes 

So, if we're going to get into a moral debate, does anybody have a keggle that was not once a BMC that was just paid a deposit for and then not returned??

Old 04-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
MikeInCtown
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do this... Call the local gas place and tell them you need to refill a Pepsi cylinder and ask if they will do it. if they say yes, then you are golden. if they say take it to Pepsi, well then take it to Pepsi and give them the name of the guy you bought it from and tell them you want to pay cash for the refill. Most often they'll look up the vendor and do the exchange right there.

<<< Has 2 20# cylinders from Coke right now.

Bottled - Continental Pilsner, Island Mist Mango Citrus, Island Mist Wildberry Shiraz
Up next - AH Foster's clone, Labatt's clone, Hard Apple Cider,
The Independence Street Brew House

Old 04-12-2008, 03:09 AM   #8
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I really don't see any moral dilemma here. I'm not stealing a tank. The guy has it legitimately and said I could use it for the cost of his deposit. I'm not buying it off of him. I just didn't know if it would be a headache refilling it. I'll probably use the charger I got and carb naturally for a bit. That aught to tide me over for a month or two I'm sure. I had called around prior and found my best deal on a new tank was 90$ for a 15lber, so I'll probably go that route eventually. I had thought of calling around to see if the shops will fill a pepsi tank for me though, I still might call to check.

Really I'm just trying to expand this hobby without paying a lot of cash out at once. This month I picked up a chest freezer, so I'm gonna hold off on throwing down cash for co2 until at least next month..

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what-kind-r-value-ferm-chamber-190459/

Old 04-12-2008, 03:17 AM   #9
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

My local welding shop wont fill Pepsi cylinders. Yours might or you may be able to go to Pepsi. Most welding places will refuse to fill it because its Pepsi's property.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 04-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I bought a coke tank from a guy on Ebay. I didn't know it was a branded tank at the time and also had concerns about filling. Neither the fire safety place that hydro'd it nor the beverage place that filled it had anything special to say. They treated it like any other tank.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply