Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Oxygen-Absorbing Crown Caps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
Rich711
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oxygen-Absorbing Crown Caps

Hello

When should you use Oxygen-Absorbing Crown Caps?

What is difference between oxygen scavenging and oxygen barrier caps and which to you use for what?

How do know which one is which if you were trying to buy them?

I saw a bin with Oxygen-Absorbing Crown Caps in Brew Supply store, and when i tried to research the product, the more info and posts I found, the more confused I became.

Cheers
Rich

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

O2 absorber caps have a grey lining on the inside of the cap. I don't know how beneficial they are, really, but at $0.50 more for a bag of them compared to regular caps I figure it can't hurt to use them.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 12-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
What is difference between oxygen scavenging and oxygen barrier caps and which to you use for what?
"scavanging" would mean that they actively remove oxygen that would be in the bottle. "barrier" would just mean they prevent oxygen from getting in.

oxygen scavanging caps are more beneficial for long term storage of beer. if you are drinking it in a few weeks to a few months, you might not notice a difference. if you plan on aging your beer for several months, you will probably taste a difference depending on how much oxygen you normally end up with in your bottles (changes depending on your process).

Quick Reply