Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Oxygen "Absorbing" Caps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #21
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3208 Times on 3110 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
You are doing yourself and your beer a disservice. No brewery sanitizes their caps.
But quite a few* pasteurize the beer after it has been bottled, making that previous step moot.

*There are those that don't, of course, but most that don't bottle condition do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #22
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKing View Post
Any of you guys who participate in swaps... do you bother with O2 absorbing caps? Or just regular caps for the trek across country?

I want to send some holiday cheer to California and it's a long haul from Tampa.
O2 in beer tends to be a longer term problem. Short hauls during a swap, or beer stored for a few weeks shouldn't be a problem.

Now that said...you're never sure how much jostling a bottle will go through during shipment. Eliminating as much O2 as you can prior to shipping is probably beneficial. For me I prefer to cap with O2 absorbing caps, let the bottles sit for 48 hours or so, and then ship. This (in my mind) has given the bottles enough time to let the O2 be "absorbed" and reduced oxygenation.
boscobeans Likes This 
Old 11-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #23
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
It won't be a problem if you sanitize your caps. My point was don't waste extra money on O2 caps if you are going to sanitize them. Just use regular caps instead. If you sanitize the O2 caps you lose the benefit and the extra money spent on the caps.
If you had some of the O2 caps left open for a long time and were concerned about infection would a Pasteurization type process work? Say, put them in the oven at 150 degrees for 10 minutes or more. How would that effect the O2 absorbing properties of the cap?

Billy-Klubb

Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #24
SilverKing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
O2 in beer tends to be a longer term problem. Short hauls during a swap, or beer stored for a few weeks shouldn't be a problem.

Now that said...you're never sure how much jostling a bottle will go through during shipment. Eliminating as much O2 as you can prior to shipping is probably beneficial. For me I prefer to cap with O2 absorbing caps, let the bottles sit for 48 hours or so, and then ship. This (in my mind) has given the bottles enough time to let the O2 be "absorbed" and reduced oxygenation.
thanks for the advice!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #25
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know it's been a while since we discussed this, but James on Basic Brewing contacted the manufacturer to ask this very question to him. He said that sanitizing is absolutely no problem, because while the caps do absorb oxygen and are activated as soon as they get moist, it takes the caps several days to do their job, so a few minutes before getting crimped is OK. Seems like since this is the case, sanitizing them and letting them sit before shipping (or moving around at all really) would be the best way to go about using the caps. So BierMuncher, you're doing it the right way.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com
boscobeans Likes This 
Old 08-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #26
Bryce
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I followed the directions of the Austin Home Brew person as I get my stuff from them. I bottled a barley wine yesterday around 11% alcohol and used the 02 caps with no sanitizer. I very nervous about contamination and wanted to get your thoughts about me taking the caps off and putting new sanitized ones on?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #27
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 90

RDWHAHB It should be no problem. You have to keep your caps clean. Micro breweries around here do not sanitize the caps. I have never sanitized my caps in the last 20 years and have not had a problem. It certainly won't hurt. Wash your hands before you touch them.

Forrest

Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #28
bigbopper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
I know it's been a while since we discussed this, but James on Basic Brewing contacted the manufacturer to ask this very question to him. He said that sanitizing is absolutely no problem, because while the caps do absorb oxygen and are activated as soon as they get moist, it takes the caps several days to do their job, so a few minutes before getting crimped is OK. Seems like since this is the case, sanitizing them and letting them sit before shipping (or moving around at all really) would be the best way to go about using the caps. So BierMuncher, you're doing it the right way.
im glad to hear of someone doing their homework on this one,i use those caps and always sanitized thinking this was the right thing to do, but to hear it from the manufacturer tells me its o.k.(not just because so and so said it)

Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 AM   #29
BmillaTheBrewzilla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Really good discussion in this thread. I was searching for this because I was listening to the recent Brewing Network Sunday Session about bottling and some of those dudes were advocating using oxy caps without sanitizing. They made the point that it is crucial to clean and sanitize bottles, but the caps come very clean and shouldn't present any contamination issues if handled properly.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #30
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So for the folks that HAVE to sanitize their caps...... Just have dip your caps in sanitizer right before placing them on the bottle. This way they are sanitized and activated. Problems?

Quick Reply