New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > oxygen absorbing caps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
alemonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default oxygen absorbing caps

Has anyone used oxygen absorbing caps? I rarely bottle, but I'm getting ready to bottle a batch of imperial stout that will likely age for up to a couple of years. Are they worth it? I've never used them before.

One thing I've thought of is that if there is some oxygen in the bottle the yeast left in suspension will consume it. Not sure if that's true, but I'm wondering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
johnsma22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Oxygen absorbing caps are not necessary if you are using priming sugar to carbonate your beer in the bottles. Any oxygen remaining in the bottles after capping will be used up by the yeast when they re-awaken to ferment the priming sugar.

If you are using a counter pressure bottle filler or a beer gun to bottle beer that has been force carbed in a keg, and plan on having them sitting around for awhile, like say, for shipping to a competition or something, or long term storage, then the oxygen absorbing caps might be a good idea.

John

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply