*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > overpitch a priming yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 877 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Default overpitch a priming yeast?

I'm bottling a pumpkin barleywine that WLP007 got to 14.6% (1.113 OG to 1.004 FG) which has been bulk aging for 2 months

going to use CBC-1 on it. adding it to the bottling bucket along with priming sugar and racking the beast on top of it.

I was going by the datasheet for CBC-1, which says 10g for 10 hectoliters

10 hectoliters = 26.4 gallons. my batch is around 2.5 gallons, so I suppose I should only use 1 gram

can you overpitch a priming yeast?

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
pvault98
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, but the results are not disastrous, you will just have excess yeast in the bottom of your bottles once they all floculate out. As long as you don't over do it with the priming sugar there won't be any problems.

I overpitched bottling yeast intentionally as I only had a few days to get a beer carbonated for a party. It carbed perfectly and still looked very clear in the glass at the party. I saved a few bottles for a couple of weeks and opened them later and the carbonation was still exactly the same, but there were a lot of excess yeast swirling in the glass.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply