New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Overcarbonated stout...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #1
Bike-N'-Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Overcarbonated stout...

Just opened the first bottle of my Broken Cherry Stout. About a second after popping the cap, a rush of caramel colored foam erupted from the bottle tip. I'm guessing I bottled "too soon."

Thing is, this stout went through a primary fermentation for 2 weeks, then a secondary fermentation with a can of cherry puree for a week, then a tertiary fermentation with 2 small cans of whole cherries (no sugar, just a bit of water) for a fourth week. Had a wee bit of secondary fermentation, but it didn't last. All told, that's 4 weeks in fermentation. OG was 1.074; FG was 1.032, which seems about right.

Only other thing I can think of is that I didn't really mix in the priming sugar a whole lot; just sort of relied on the turbulence coming from the siphon tube to do the work.

If the priming sugar is the issue, does that mean that some of these bottles will be overcarbonated and some will be undercarbonated? Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited by Bike-N'-Brew; 11-22-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2006, 01:37 AM   #2
gonzoflick

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've had these issues before. I would suggest stirring the liquid ever so gently after you siphon to make sure the sugar mixes well. To me its worth risking a little oxidation in order to make sure each of my bottles has equal amount of yeast food.

On tap: NOTHING

Old 11-22-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Quote:
OG was 1.07; FG was 1.032
That's only 54% attenuation, which is very low unless you really loaded it with unfermentables, like maltodextrin. Your conclusion of pre-mature bottling sounds right to me.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
Bike-N'-Brew
Recipes 

Default Unfermentables, yeah...

Although the big can of cherry puree and 2 small cans of whole cherries are fermentable, they're not highly fermentable, so maybe that's (a part) of it.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply