The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Overcarbed Keg? Here's an INSTANT SOLUTION!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #21
BuddyBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastricky View Post
We've got some friends staying with us this weekend from Canada and I wanted to premiere a Creamy Ale I made which would be served on Nitro. Well, I'm still figuring out carbonation levels when it comes to Nitro, and I carbed the keg at room temperature so I kept it at 26psi for a few weeks to compensate for the warm carbing temp.

Well, that may have worked for a beer served regularly, or a beer that isn't prone to a massive head, but it was ALL WRONG for this beer.

Hooked it up, opened the tap - nothing but thick foam. Disaster!

Well, I didn't have time to wait 24-48 hours to get the CO2 down by just opening the pressure release every few hours...

Here's the answer that worked flawlessly:

1. Depressurize the keg.

2. Hook up the CO2 into the OUT connection on the corny (you'll have to switch out your hookups for this maneuver).

3. As you can see in the photo directly below, you can then attach a short release to vent the CO2 out of the IN connect. If you don't have this available, you can just use the pressure vent on the lid.

4. Now open the gas for a second. Wait a beat. Do it again for a second. Wait for the CO2 to travel fully thru the beer (if you're not sure, put your ear to the keg, if you hear bubbles, it's still making its way thru).

5. OK, now vent the CO2, but do it slowly and gradually. This is what makes the dohickey I've got attached a good idea - I can open the valve and release the gas in a slow, controlled manner. But using the pressure release on the lid can work just fine too, just be patient. Otherwise you'll get a lot of foam flying out.

6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 3-4 times. You might need to go an additional 1 or 2 times depending on how overcarbed the keg is (I did).

Essentially what is happening is the CO2 being blasted thru the keg from the bottom (coming in thru the OUT connection which has it entering the keg from the bottom of the dip tube) is pushing all the CO2 in solution out.

IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY! Perfect pour 30 minutes later.
Im about to try this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 02:14 AM   #22
BuddyBrews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Wow this is the trick. works too good. Gonna put it back on the co2 JUst on 12 psi hopefully get back up to perfect carbonation in a day or so but anywY GREAT TRICK!

Old 12-24-2010, 04:13 AM   #23
r8rphan
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

this thread should be stickied...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Old 02-18-2011, 03:27 AM   #24
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

so I was pressurizing some empty kegs to check for leaks and forgot to reset the regulator I had I had my keg at 35psi... result was a glass full of foam. I purged pressure in the keg, set the regulator at 10psi. woke up the next morning with a keg at 50 PSi... NO bueno. I have since purged and tried to get the keg to stop pouring a glass of foam.

well after 3 days of being pissed off i tried the method in this thread I had book marked weeks ago before I even kegged.

well with OUT having a fancy doohicky I just put my gas coupling on my "out" post until I heard the bubbling stop. then I slowly released the release valve in the lid. did this about 3 or 4 times. the last few times I got foam spewing out of the vavle.

I poured a perfect pint at 12 psi with out any extra head.

3/16th tubing at 5' long at 38 degrees.

-=jason=-

Old 07-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #25
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 796 Posts

The answer to "Why does this work?" is the injected CO2 provides lots of nucleation sites which cause CO2 to come out of solution, which in turn provides even more nucleation sites, forming a cascade.

It's like a controlled version of the Mentos Bomb...

Cheers!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #26
jakecpunut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
so I was pressurizing some empty kegs to check for leaks and forgot to reset the regulator I had I had my keg at 35psi... result was a glass full of foam. I purged pressure in the keg, set the regulator at 10psi. woke up the next morning with a keg at 50 PSi... NO bueno. I have since purged and tried to get the keg to stop pouring a glass of foam.

well after 3 days of being pissed off i tried the method in this thread I had book marked weeks ago before I even kegged.

well with OUT having a fancy doohicky I just put my gas coupling on my "out" post until I heard the bubbling stop. then I slowly released the release valve in the lid. did this about 3 or 4 times. the last few times I got foam spewing out of the vavle.

I poured a perfect pint at 12 psi with out any extra head.

3/16th tubing at 5' long at 38 degrees.

-=jason=-
So glad I found this thread! I left mine at 30 for 3 days and it was over carbed.. this little trick worked perfectly! Makes me want to do this every time now to hurry up and get the beer carbonated!

http://YouTube.com/JakeCpuNut

http://surrywebdesign.com

Fermenting - 10 G's of Speer Beer Pale Ale

Tap # 1 - Frozen Toes IPA
Tap # 2 - Nut Brown Ale
Tap # 3 - Rye IPA

Old 12-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #27
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Thank you for this! Did a variation of the original process and fixed a horribly overcarbbed keg into a perfectly-carbbed keg. I just swapped the gas and liquid connections on my keezer and opened the faucet when i wanted to vent the gas. Thanks again!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Old 03-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #28
apparatus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have to say this is a brilliant solution and does work instantly and flawlessly.

Apparatus

Old 07-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #29
pensphreak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tried this for the first time on 2 kegs and it worked perfectly

Old 09-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #30
natescape
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Too much head?

Just tried this on a pair of super-carbonated refrigerated kegs. On the first keg, after about 4 tries, I started getting massive head spillage when I vented the CO2. It spewed out of the vent when I released the CO2. On the second tank (which was more full-on head), it started spewing on the second release of CO2.

Was my initial carbonating just too crazy carbed? Should I try it again in a day or two?

Quick Reply