Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Over pressurised keg regulator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 AM   #11
AirricK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am having a similar issue. Even with the knob on my second valve turned all the way counter-clockwise (closed) the second I hook it up to my CO2 tank the low pressure shoots all the way up to 50psi and the pressure relief valve starts hissing. Bad regulator?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirricK View Post
I am having a similar issue. Even with the knob on my second valve turned all the way counter-clockwise (closed) the second I hook it up to my CO2 tank the low pressure shoots all the way up to 50psi and the pressure relief valve starts hissing. Bad regulator?
Have you tried it with the regulator turned all the way in the other direction? Not all regulators are built the same way, and some turn counterclockwise to open (increase pressure), while others (most) turn counterclockwise to close (decrease pressure). The thing to look at is the post position. To turn the pressure all the way down, the post you're turning should move out, away from the regulator. When you open the valve to increase the pressure, the post should be moving further into the regulator body.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 06-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1989 Times on 1229 Posts
Likes Given: 2809

Not to sound like an arse but did the reg come with instructions and are you following them correctly?

JuanMoore's advice is correct. Which ever way the screw turns it should come out from the surface of the reg to reduce pressure and move towards the surface of the reg to increase pressure.

If no matter which way you turn the screw to either extreme no difference in pressure results? - The reg is bad. (Don't forget to relieve the pressure in the lines between the different settings)

Inside the regulator is a diaphram, sort of like a rheostat, (Very loose analogy) If turned off the electrical resistance in said rheostat causes no electricy to flow. As it is turned up or down the resistance changes and more, or less, electricy flows.

A regulator is sort of the same. As the screw moves in (which ever direction CCW or CW) it pushes on a spring loaded diaphram (resistance) which has the soul purpose of maintaining a seal inside the regulator chambers and keeps CO2 from flowing among them until counter pressure (the screw moving in) is applied.

Once the screw moves in enough it overcomes the resistance and causes the diaphram (seal) to be comprimised and allow CO2 to flow into two chambers. One being the low pressure gage and the other (and same pressure) to be sent to your keg.

Once this desired pressure is set the regulator, screw, and spring loaded diaphram will work in conjuntion to maintain set pressure.

For the high pressure gage there is a bypass, detour, what ever you want to call it. That gage will get a reading unobstructed, straight form the CO2 tank.

Quick Reply